Why Study Music Education?
As a music educator, you will have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of young people through the amazing art of music. Music Education majors at UWRF will learn about and experience music in performing ensembles, classroom settings, and private lessons. In addition, teaching candidates will have the opportunity to gain knowledge about diverse student populations, then put that knowledge to use during field experiences and student teaching.
- Results in PK-12 certification for ALL music areas
- Includes 130 total credits to degree
- Can be completed in 4 total years (including student teaching)
At UW-River Falls, we have rebuilt our music education degree from the ground up. The result is a forward-thinking, holistic, interconnected, and student-centered degree designed to meet the needs of tomorrow’s students.
For More Information
Visit https://www.uwrf.edu/MUS/Music-Education.cfm to learn more about Music Education at UW-River Falls, including course requirements, semester-by-semester degree maps, music education events, and more.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Prepare future educators to teach music to PK-12 students across all music disciplines and in any setting
- Explore contemporary approaches, including online teaching and learning, modern music, and more
- Celebrate music traditions from around the world
- Cultivate and engage in musical creativity
- Foster student-centered approaches to music education that supports and empowers the students being served
Types of Courses
- Ensembles (Band, Choir, Orchestra, Jazz, Women’s Chorus, etc)
- Applied Music (Voice Lessons, Bassoon Lessons, Cello Lessons, etc)
- Technology for the Musician
- Classroom String Techniques - Guitar and Ukulele
- Vocal and Choral Techniques
- Woodwind Techniques
- World Music Ensemble
- Advanced Conducting and Rehearsal Techniques
- Adaptive Music
- Contemporary Topics in Music Education
- Multicultural Education
"Being a student in the Music Department at UWRF has shown me that there are professors that truly care about me, my education, and my future. Every time I have a lesson or a class, I feel welcomed and valued by each professor and that’s extremely important to me. I’m so glad I chose UW-River Falls! "
- Band Teacher
- Choir Teacher
- Orchestra Teacher
- Elementary Classroom Music Teacher
- Secondary Classroom Music Teacher
- Private Lesson Teacher