Why Study Elementary Education?
Elementary educators provide foundational guidance and instruction for children in grades 1-5 and play a vital role in supporting their intellectual, social and emotional development. Preparing educators has been a cornerstone of UW-River Falls since our founding and our elementary education majors benefit from the strength of our program. Personalized learning, hands-on teaching experiences and knowledgeable faculty prepare our students for the classroom.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in best practices and implement them in the preparation and development of classroom materials, schedules and lessons for students.
- Design, implement and assess teaching tools.
- Develop and use assessments to evaluate student performance and promote intellectual, personal and social growth of students.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Understand students’ diverse needs and utilize tools to meet needs through instruction.
Types of Courses
- Children's Literature for Elementary Education
- Educational Psychology: Elementary Ed
- Foundations of Diversity and Equity in Education
- School and Society
- Techniques in Elementary Education: Language Arts
- Techniques in Elementary Education: Mathematics
- Techniques in Elementary Education: Science
- Techniques in Elementary Education: Middle School Social Studies
- Introduction to Special Education
“I was able to learn from so many inspiring professors who really care for not only my academics but me as a person. They take the time to get to know you as an individual and went above and beyond to help support my journey. My courses enabled me the opportunity to have a variety of field experiences. I was able to learn and teach in a classroom alongside some amazing cooperative teachers that I have been able to learn so much from.”
– Sierra Barber, elementary education major, general science minor
UWRF’s elementary education program prepares you for a career in elementary education. Our graduates land teaching positions each year in Wisconsin, Minnesota and beyond. Elementary education majors are eligible for a teaching license in Wisconsin for grades 1-8. With the addition of the early childhood education minor, you can teach at the pre-K level.