Have You Served?

Are you or a family member serving in the military or a veteran? Your military status may entitle you to additional financial aid opportunities or educational benefits and we’re here to help you maximize your benefits!

UWRF Section Separator

Applying for Benefits

As a service member, veteran or family member, you may be eligible for federal and/or state benefits. It’s important to apply for benefits as soon as you are admitted to UWRF. You’ll need to submit a request for certification of veterans benefits for each academic semester that you wish to use applicable benefits. To do this, simply complete a Request for Certification of Veterans Benefits.

Please Note: The Wisconsin GI Bill does not cover all educational costs. Check with Veteran Services to determine which tuition/fees are not covered.

For information about VA federal educational benefits, please call 1-888-442-4551.

About the Rogers STEM Scholarship®: The Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship is a provision of the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act (Forever GI Bill) that gives extra benefits to students training in the high demand fields of science, technology, engineering, and math. Obtaining a degree in these areas may require more training than other fields. This provision aims to help cover that difference and give additional incentive for students who choose the careers our society needs most.

About Edith Nourse Rogers

Edith Nourse Rogers represented Massachusetts in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1925-61 and was a tireless advocate for veterans. She was one of the first women to serve in congress and had the second-longest tenure of any woman elected in congress. Rogers served on the Foreign Affairs Committee and Civil Service Committee, chaired the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, and was the first woman to preside as the House of Representatives Speaker pro tempore.

For more information, visit https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/fgib/stem.asp

Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”), requires GI Bill participating public institutions of higher learning to charge qualifying veterans and dependents tuition and fees at the resident rate, regardless of his/her formal state of residence for terms beginning after July 1, 2015.

Basic Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, or Chapter 30 (MGIB) benefits
  • Must live in Wisconsin (regardless of the formal state of residence)
  • Enrolls at UW-River Falls within three years of discharge from a period of active duty that is of 90 days or more (or the veteran who transferred benefits discharge). This does not include Initial Entry Training.

More details here: https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_residentraterequirements.asp

Federal Benefits

For information on how to apply for and maximize your federal benefits, visit https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill

Service members may transfer unused Post-911 GI Bill benefits to their spouses or dependents. Get more information by reading factsheets at the U.S. Department of Defense website.

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. The Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30) may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Active Duty members may enroll, pay $100 per month for 12 months and complete a minimum service obligation to receive a monthly education benefit.

IMPORTANT -- All students receiving either the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty or Selected Reserve must verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments on WAVE or by calling 1-877-823-2378 and following the prompts.

The Montgomery GI Bill®- Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and the Air National Guard.

IMPORTANT -- All students receiving either the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty or Selected Reserve must verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments on WAVE or by calling 1-877-823-2378 and following the prompts.

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program provides education and training opportunities to eligible survivors and dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) Services (Chapter 31) is a program that's primary function is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living. 

FTA is available to students currently serving on active duty or in a reserve component. FTA is applied for through the service branch directly. Each branch has specific restrictions and variations. FTA generally pays up to $250 per semester hour, with a maximum yearly cap.

Information on how to apply: https://www.armyignited.com/app/

Contact information: email: 88education@usar.army.mil or call: 612-713-3081

Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, and Cost Guard: Contact the education office or liaison in your service branch for more information.

You may be able to waive your physical education course requirements and receive UWRF credits for your military training or education. The first step you need to complete to claim credits is to request a transcript for your military service. Each service will provide unofficial personal copies of your transcript and send an official copy to UWRF at no charge.

Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard: Active Duty, Reserve, and Veterans: Joint Services Transcript 

For a video tutorial on how to request your official transcripts, click here.

Air Force: Community College of the Air Force 

State Benefits

Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs
Wisconsin Department of Military Affairs
Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs

Visit the UWRF Veteran Services Office and fill out your eligibility paperwork. In approximately 6-8 weeks, the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs will send you and UWRF an eligibility form. It is always best to check with the school to make sure they received this document.

The Wisconsin GI Bill® provides a full waiver (“remission”) of tuition and fees for eligible veterans and their dependents for up to eight full-time semesters or 128 credits at any University of Wisconsin System (UWS) or Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) institution for continuing education or for study at the undergraduate or graduate level.

FAQs about Wisconsin GI Bill®: https://www.wisconsin.edu/veterans/benefits/

Information on application and criteria can be found here: http://dva.state.wi.us/Ben-education.asp#WIGI

Wisconsin GI Bill Online Application Watch 

For a quick explainer and helpful tips on applying for benefits, click here.

Paper Application WDVA 2030 

School Application WDVA 2029 

The Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Reimbursement Grant is based on 100% of the resident, undergraduate tuition charged by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The reimbursement amount will be comparable to the tuition for an academic year at UW-Madison or the institution's tuition rate, whichever is less. Students attending state technical schools or private colleges can also use the program. Additionally, the grant may be used at many out-of-state schools.

Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Reimbursement Grant forms can be picked up in the Military and Veteran Resource Center in 283 Rodli Hall. Or download it here: DMA Form 189.

If you are a member of the Minnesota National Guard, you may qualify for the State Tuition Reimbursement (STR). To apply, you must contact your unit’s full-time representative as soon as you commit to a school semester. More information can be found at https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/education/.

What’s Next?

Once you register for classes, make sure you visit our office and bring:

  State Benefits Federal Benefits 
Veteran/Service Member 
  1. DD214
  2. WI GI Bill: School Application WDVA 2029
  3. WI NG Tuition Reimbursement: DMA 189E Form
  1. DD214
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (Example of COE)
  1. Veteran DD214 
  2. Marriage Certificate 
  3. School Application: WDVA 2029 
  4. Residency Affidavit (If veteran did not enlist in Wisconsin)
  1. Veteran DD214
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (Example of COE)
  1. Veteran DD214
  2. Birth Certificate 
  3. School Application: WDVA 2029 
  4. Residency Affidavit (If veteran did not enlist in Wisconsin)
  1. Veteran DD214 
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (Example of COE)

Don’t forget to complete your Request for Certification of Veterans Benefits!

We understand that there is a lot of information to digest surrounding financial aid and veteran benefits! If you’d like to get in touch, reach out – we’re here to help!

Financial Aid
Phone: 715-425-3141
Fax: 715-425-0708
133 Rodli Hall

Military and Veteran Resource Center
Phone: 715-425-3529
Fax: 715-425-0708
283 Rodli Hall