Why Study English?
As an English major at UW-River Falls, you’ll have the opportunity to find your passion and hone your skills through diverse and versatile class offerings. We offer emphases in literature, creative writing, professional writing or English education.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Become an insightful and critical thinker, reader, writer and lifelong learner with an awareness of historical, cultural and philosophical issues that affect society.
- Write and communicate effectively, read widely and think critically.
- Cultivate persuasion abilities, oral and written communication and collaboration skills.
- Develop and apply leadership skills that translate to all career fields.
Types of Courses
- Business Writing
- Composition Theory
- Cyberliteracy and Writing on the Web
- Literature for Adolescents
- Proposal Writing
- Structure of English
- Visual Rhetoric: Document Design and Graphics
- Writing Workshop in Prose and Poetry
“Beyond practicums, field experiences and internships, my English courses have emphasized vital hands-on learning. As part of a course on cyberliteracy, I created my own website and a blog spanning a whole semester. A course on business writing pushed me to write and research full proposals and respond to customer complaints. Both courses covered important theories, but they also required me to apply those theories to real-world communications. As such, I feel much more prepared entering the workforce.”
– Grace Shade, English major, education, literature and professional writing emphasis
The broad nature of an English degree prepares you for a wide variety of opportunities. Many students choose to attend graduate school as an English degree can be great preparation for future careers in law, political science/government, public administration, psychology, counseling, banking, human resources or communications. Other graduates choose to enter the workforce following their undergraduate studies. With an English degree, you may find yourself in a variety of roles, including:
- Communications Specialist
- Copy Editor
- Freelance or Creative Writer
- Travel or Trade Writer