Why Study Animal Science - Meat Animal?
Major | Animal Science | CAFES
As an animal science – meat animal major, you’ll learn all aspects of farm animal production, including feeding, breeding, health and management, in addition to learning about processing food and fiber products derived from production animals. We offer two campus laboratory farms providing extensive hands-on experience. Plus, you’ll have the option to focus on one of two emphases - science or management - allowing you to find your passion and focus your studies.
Interested in our Farm and Industry Short Course? Click here to learn more about this unique and exciting opportunity!
Of Students Completed At Least One High-Impact Practice Before Graduation
Countries Represented in the Student Body
Of Grads are Employed or Attending Grad School
Animal Science - Meat Animal
firstname.lastname@example.org // 715-425-3535
Area of Study:
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Apply science-based knowledge and best management practices to the effective management of beef, swine or sheep herds for efficient, profitable production.
- Understand animal behavior and how to use it for effective animal handling and production.
- Apply basic biochemical and physiological concepts and utilize practical skills to the harvesting and processing of animal food products.
- Effectively interpret and communicate the latest scientific findings in animal production and apply them to practical farm or ranch situations.
Types of Courses
- Ag Economics
- Animal Science Careers
- Animal Welfare Assessment
- Applied Animal Breeding
- Foundations of Biochemistry
- Intro to Plant Science
- Intro to Ruminant Production
- Meat & Meat Products
- Science of Food
With a degree in animal science – meat animal, you’ll be prepared for a wide variety of future roles, including:
- Animal or Meat Inspector
- Artificial Breeding Technician
- Feedlot or Herd Manager
- Livestock Buyer
- Market News Reporter
- Nutrition Consultant
- Production Line or Quality Control Supervisor
Get More Information
Interested in learning more about UWRF or any of our 70+ areas of study? Just share your contact information and we'll be in touch!