Why Study Animal Science - Companion Animal?
Major | Animal Science/Science/Agriculture | CAFES
At UW-River Falls, our animal science – companion animal major will provide you with a comprehensive knowledge of companion animal management and care, including species biology, physiology/anatomy, nutrition, genetics, reproduction, welfare, behavior and training, rescue management, veterinary care and more. You’ll have the option to focus on one of two emphases, science or management, allowing you to find your passion and focus your studies.
Living and Learning Communities
Countries Represented in the Student Body
Of Grads are Employed or Attending Grad School
Animal Science - Companion Animal
firstname.lastname@example.org // 715-425-3535
Area of Study:
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Apply science-based knowledge to a broad spectrum of companion animal species, including cats, dogs and a variety of other species kept for companionship or service.
- Evaluate, interpret and manage companion animal behavior.
- Understand the biology, care and management of companion animals, including current and potential issues, the unique aspects of human-animal bonds and the diverse roles of animals in society.
- Proficiently handle common companion animals.
- Effectively communicate with a broad audience.
Types of Courses
- Animal Anatomy & Physiology
- Animal Science Careers
- Companion Animal Behavior
- Companion Animal Management
- Domestic Animal Nutrition
- Physiology of Reproduction
- Small Agribusiness Management
Thanks to the interdisciplinary nature of the program, you’ll have a solid foundation for a wide variety of careers in the companion animal field. Some students choose to attend graduate school while others find themselves employed in roles such as:
- Animal Control/Welfare Officer
- Humane Society Educator or Breed Association Staff
- Nutrition or Pharmaceutical Research, Sales or Marketing
- Researcher or Research Lab Technician
- Veterinarian/Veterinary Technician
Get More Information
Interested in learning more about UWRF or any of our 70+ areas of study? Just share your contact information and we'll be in touch!