Why Study Animal Science - Equine?
Major | Animal Science | CAFES
With more than 50 well-bred and highly-trained horses, phenomenal facilities and a balance of science-based classroom work and hands-on experience, UW-River Falls has one of the strongest equine programs in the nation. You’ll learn critical aspects of the equine industry, including breeding, raising, training and riding, and have the option to focus on one of two emphases – science or management – allowing you to find your passion and focus your studies.
Students in Honors Programs
Living and Learning Communities
Of Grads are Employed or Attending Grad School
Animal Science - Equine
firstname.lastname@example.org // 715-425-3535
Area of Study:
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Become proficient in handling horses.
- Apply science-based knowledge about equine behavior, management and healthcare in hands-on laboratory settings.
- Understand the biology, care and management of horses.
- Utilize specialized knowledge in horse training, reproduction, therapeutic riding or farrier work.
- Effectively communicate with a broad audience regarding equine animal health, biology and welfare.
Types of Courses
- Advanced Horsemanship
- Advanced Nutrition
- Animal Science Careers
- Balanced Seat Applications
- Equine Equitation
- Equine Management
- Equine Reproductive Techniques
- Horse Production
With a degree in animal science – equine, you’ll have a strong foundation for a career in the equine field. Some students choose to attend graduate school while others find themselves employed in roles such as:
- Appraiser or Equine Insurance Agent
- Breed Association Representative or Extension Specialist
- Breed Publication Editor or Assistant
- Equine Equipment Sales or Service
- Farrier, Hauler or Stable Manager
- Horse Trainer or Event Judge
- Riding or Therapeutic Riding Instructor
- Veterinarian, Health Practitioner or Nutritionist
Get More Information
Interested in learning more about UWRF or any of our 70+ areas of study? Just share your contact information and we'll be in touch!