Marketing communications integrates advertising, public relations, sales promotion, cyber marketing, direct marketing, personal selling and social media marketing into a single professional field of expertise. Students will develop knowledge and skills in oral, written and visual modes of communication.
Highlights of the Marketing Communications Major
- Students are required to complete an internship. Students have interned at companies such as 3M, NetRadio, West Publishing, Sportsman's Guide, Northwestern Mutual, Hennepin County Health, Andersen Windows, Canterbury Park, Miller Meester and the Minnesota Vikings.
- Student will take a variety of courses across a broad range of topics allowing them to discover their passion and focus their studies.
- Students can select a minor in programs, such as: Communication Studies, Stage and Screen Arts, Graphic Design (Art), Journalism or Professional Writing (English).
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Effectively utilize marketing ethics, research, and communications technologies.
- Plan and manage campaigns.
- Plan and buy media.
- Create a cohesive brand strategy.
- Write for marketing communications.
- Manage photography and video production.
- Plan and manage events.
Students who graduate with a degree in Marketing Communications will have a wide choice of career opportunities within many facets of marketing. This program combines creative disciplines and business courses that gives students a competitive edge with a set of skills tailored to meet the demands of the real world. Technical skills in multimedia software provides additional opportunities.
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider:
Art (graphic design)