The dairy science major prepares students for all aspects of dairy cattle production with knowledge and skills in genetics, health, nutrition and animal welfare. Students also take coursework in other areas of agriculture, such as agricultural business, agricultural engineering and crop science. Two emphases are available to help students focus their career goals:
- Management emphasis: Focuses on business skills essential in today's dairy industry and enables students to pursue additional areas of interest.
- Science emphasis: Includes the required hours of chemistry, math and physical and biological sciences for students who are interested in graduate work or veterinary medicine.
Highlights of the Dairy Science Major
- The Dairy Learning Center is available on the Mann Valley Farm as a state-of-the-art teaching laboratory for hands-on learning experiences.
- The faculty have useful connections to the dairy industry that enable students to secure internships and learn about specific career paths.
- The Dairy Pilot Plant and Meat Processing Plant offer students active learning experiences and work skills related to food production.
- The Mann Valley Farm and Campus Farm (laboratory farms) house dairy, beef, swine, sheep, poultry and equine enterprises for additional teaching and learning, and students also have opportunities to work on the farms to gain experience.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Apply science-based knowledge and hands-on skills when working with dairy cattle.
- Handle dairy cattle safely and effectively using good welfare and behavior practices.
- Understand the genetics, breeding, nutrition, health and reproduction of dairy cattle at all stages of production and age.
- Communicate effectively to audiences using valid and industry-specific information.
- Evaluate and interpret scientific data.
As a graduate of this program, you will be prepared for a career in the dairy industry. Below is a list of potential job titles and employers that graduates have found employment or internship opportunities with.
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider:
Animal Science - Meat Animal
Animal Science - Vet Tech