This award-winning program prepares students for careers in health-related professions and laboratory research (Biomedical and Health Science Degree), public and private agencies involved with natural resources management (Field Biology option), and high school/middle school education (Biology – Broad Field Science).
Highlights of the Biology Degree
- Winner of the 2014 Regents Teaching Excellence Award, given to one department in the UW System each year, regardless of discipline.
- Heavy emphasis on undergraduate biology research, beginning the first semester of the freshman year.
- 3+4 or 4+4 articulation agreement with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic medicine (the largest medical school in the United States), with associated programs in dentistry and pharmacy.
- 3+1 articulation agreement with the Medical Laboratory Scientist program of the University of Minnesota, and 3+4 articulation agreement with the Palmer College of Chiropractic.
- 3+2 articulation agreement with the Echocardiography program of the Mayo Clinic, and good record of acceptance into the Surgical First Assistant program of the Mayo Clinic.
- Opportunities for internships and international experience in Europe, Costa Rica and Taiwan.
- Recently renovated laboratories designed specifically for inquiry-based instruction.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Understand the language, facts, details and significance of scientific information in biology.
- Obtain and verify scientific knowledge and the importance of detail, accuracy and honesty in scientific reporting.
- Use practical techniques and procedures useful in laboratory research, using state-of-the-art equipment for sophisticated techniques such as qPCR and flow cytometry.
- Apply critical thinking skills valued by professional programs and private companies.
Students who graduate with a Biology or Biomedical and Health Science degree are prepared for careers in a wide variety of professional and graduate programs in the health and environmental sciences fields in both the public and private sectors. The Biology-Broad Field Science education major provides teaching certification for middle school and high school, a high-demand area of employment due to a shortage of teachers in the STEM disciplines.
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider:
Conservation and Environmental Planning
Crops and Soil Science