Why Study Biotechnology?
Biotechnology is a rapidly advancing field that allows scientists to modify and harness the genetic capabilities of organisms. As a biotechnology major, you’ll learn the skills needed to contribute to rapid advances in areas including pharmaceutical development, agriculture, food microbiology, medical devices and environmental sciences.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Practice collaboration, oral presentation, scientific writing and laboratory safety skills.
- Gain experience with modern research and scientific methods.
- Become proficient in laboratory techniques essential to biotechnology.
- Individually and collaboratively develop comprehensive solutions to problems.
- Communicate and clearly define questions or problems.
- Analyze biotechnology literature and research.
Types of Courses
- Animal Cell Culture
- Fermentation Technology
- Food Microbiology
- Genetics and Evolution
- Molecular Biology
- Organic Chemistry
River Falls sits inside the “biotechnology triangle” of Madison, the Twin Cities and Rochester, Minn. You’ve got numerous biotech firms at your fingertips and we’ll help you connect with them for both internships and career opportunities.
Biotechnology majors have options. You’ll be prepared to enter the workforce or continue on to graduate school after UWRF. A broad spectrum of roles could be in your future, including:
- Application Engineer
- Informatics Specialist
- Lab Analyst or Supervisor
- Production Scientist
- Quality Control Manager