Select one of the following plan options to learn more:
Master of Arts in TESOL
Master of Arts with Teaching License
Teaching License in TESOL
Graduate Certificate for Professional Development
There are growing numbers of English language learners in west central Wisconsin, the Twin Cities, and the world. More and more, teachers and others who work with students or employees with limited proficiency in English feel that their own training and education is inadequate to meet this challenge.
The University of Wisconsin-River Falls offers courses and degree plans that can prepare you to teach English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). The courses we offer are approved by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) to meet licensure for teaching English as a Second Language (ESL). In addition, teachers in Minnesota may also pursue a Minnesota license upon completion of this program.
Who Should Enroll
- Individuals with a baccalaureate degree who are interested in teaching English in countries around the world.
- Individuals with a baccalaureate degree who are seeking an initial teaching license in ESL.
- Practicing teachers who want to earn a master's degree and improve their skills in working with limited English proficiency (LEP) students.
- Licensed teachers who want to add a license in ESL.
- International students who are seeking a master's degree in TESOL and an opportunity to improve their English skills while studying in the United States.
- ESL or bilingual education professionals who want to teach in Adult Basic Education (ABE) positions in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- Learn ways to adapt teaching practices and techniques to suit ESL learners from different cultural backgrounds, age groups and language backgrounds.
- Increase sensitivity and respect for non-native cultural and language groups.
- Interact with non-native speakers in an instructional setting.
Students must meet the general admissions requirements for graduate study at UWRF. International students must have a minimum score of 80 on the Internet version of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or its equivalent. See additional requirements for international students.
TESOL Textbook Information