ENGL 520 - The Structure of English (by special arrangement)
ENGL 521 - The English Language: History and Culture
- Millward, A Biography of the English language, 3rd ed. Wadsworth, 2011.
- Bryson, The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way. Perennial, 2001.
ENGL 522 - Acquisition of Language
- Lightbown P.M. & Spada, N. (2018). How Languages are Learned 4th ed., Oxford.
- Ellis, R. & Barkhuizen, G. (2005). Analysing Learner Language, Oxford.
ENGL 551 - Pronunciation in Language Learning and Teaching
- Celce-Murcia, M., Brinton, D.M., Goodwin, J.M. (2010). Teaching Pronunciation; A Course Book and Reference Guide. Cambridge University Press. (Available at the Textbook Library for undergraduate students)
- Grant, L. (2014). Pronunciation Myths; Applying Second Language Research to Classroom Teaching, pp. 34-55, 56-79, 107-136, and 137-159. (PDF copies available in Canvas)
ENGL 560 - Theory & Methods of TESOL
- Larsen-Freeman, D. & Anderson, M. (2011). Techniques & Principles in Language Teaching, 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Nation, I.S.P. & Newton, J. (2009). Teaching ESL/EFL Listening and Speaking. NY: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
ENGL 573 - Techniques in Tutoring: TESOL Practicum
- Dalle and Young, PACE Yourself: A Handbook for ESL Tutors, TESOL, 2003.
- Celce-Murcia, Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language, 3rd edition, 2001.
- Richard-Amato, Making It Happen, 4th edition, 2010.
ENGL 620 Pedagogical Grammar
- Marianne Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman. The Grammar Book: An ESL/EFL Teacher's Course. 2nd ed., Heinle, 1999 (Grammar Book).
- Richard Firsten with Patricia Killian. The ELT Grammar Book: A Teacher-Friendly Reference Guide. Alta, 2002 (ELT Book).
ENGL 650 - Non-Native Speakers in the Midwest
- Flaitz, Understanding Your Refugee and Immigrant Students.
- Rong and Preissle, Educating Immigrant Student in the 21st Century.
ENGL 675 - Assessment and Testing in TESOL
- Brown, J. D. (2005). Testing in Language Programs: A Comprehensive Guide to English Language Assessment. NY: McGraw-Hill. (Available as PDF files in Canvas)
- Fulcher, G. (2003). Testing Second Language Speaking. London: Pearson Longman.
TESL 701 - Reading and Writing TESOL Research
- Mackey, A. (Ed.) (2007). Conversational Interaction in Second Language Acquisition. Oxford University Press.
- Brown, J.D. & Rodgers, T.S. (2002). Doing Second Language Research. Oxford University Press.
- Recommended Reading:
Brown, J.D. (1989). Understanding Research in Second Language Learning (any edition). Cambridge University Press.
ESL 720 - Educational Linguistics
- David E. Freeman and Yvonne S. Freeman. Essential Linguistics: What You Need to Know to Teach Reading, ESL, Spelling, Phonics, and Grammar. Heinemann, 2003.
- Sidney Greenbaum and Randolph Quirk. A Student's Grammar of the English Language. Longman, 1990.
- Anthony Cowie. Semantics. OUP, 2009.
- George Yule. Pragmatics. OUP, 1996.
TESL 763 - Words, Meaning, and Vocabulary Teaching
- Harley, Heidi. English Words: A Linguistic Introduction. Blackwell, 2006.
- Howard Jackson and Etienne Zé Amvela. Words, Meaning and Vocabulary: An Introduction to Modern English Lexicology. 2nd ed. Continuum International, 2007.
- Michael F. Graves, Diane August and Jeannette Mancilla-Martinez. Teaching Vocabulary to English Language Learners. Teachers College Press, 2012.
TESL 765 - Language & Culture
- Deutscher, G. (2010). Through the Language Glass; Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages. NY: Picador.
- Kendi, I.X. (2019). How to be an Antiracist. NY: Random House.
TESL 767 - Teaching ESOL Reading
- Lems, Miller, and Soro – Teaching Reading to English Language Learners.
- Mikulecky – A Short Course in Teaching Reading Skills.
- Schlosser and Wilson, Chew on This.
TESL 769 - Developing Discourse and Pragmatics Teaching Materials
- Joan Cutting. Pragmatics: A Resource Book for Students. 3rd ed. London and New York: Routledge, 2015.
- Rodney H. Jones. Discourse Analysis: A Resource Book for Students. London and New York: Routledge, 2012.