Why Study Dairy Science?
Major/Minor | Agriculture | CAFES
As a dairy science major, you’ll be prepared for all aspects of dairy cattle production and will be armed with knowledge and skills in genetics, health, nutrition and animal welfare. The Dairy Learning Center at UW-River Falls will provide you with extensive hands-on experience and you’ll have the option to focus on one of two emphases – science or management – allowing you to find your passion and focus your studies.
Students in Honors Programs
Of Grads are Employed or Attending Grad School
Of Students Received Financial Aid in 2021-2022
email@example.com // 715-425-3535
Area of Study:
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Apply science-based knowledge and hands-on skills when working with dairy cattle.
- Understand the genetics, breeding, nutrition, reproduction and health of dairy cattle at all stages of production and age.
- Handle dairy cattle safely and effectively using best welfare and behavior practices.
- Communicate effectively to a variety of audiences using valid and industry-specific information.
- Evaluate and interpret scientific data.
Types of Courses
- Animal Anatomy & Physiology
- Applied Feeds & Nutrition
- Dairy Cattle Breeding and Genetics
- Dairy Cattle Nutrition
- Dairy Herd Evaluation
- Dairy Records
- Milk Processing
- Physiology of Reproduction
With a degree in dairy science, you’ll be prepared for a wide variety of future roles, including:
- Breed Association Representative
- Calf Specialist
- Dairy Cattle Classifier or Dairy Herd Manager
- Milk Inspector or Milking Equipment Representative
- Nutrition Consultant
- Researcher or Research Laboratory Technician
- Sire Analyst or Mating Specialist
- Veterinarian/Veterinary Technician
Get More Information
Interested in learning more about UWRF or any of our 70+ areas of study? Just share your contact information and we'll be in touch!