Why Study Physics?
Physics seeks to discover how the universe works. The UW-River Falls physics program ranks in the top 10% of undergraduate physics-producing schools in the country and will provide you with a lifetime of transferable skills. With multiple option areas including dual degree, physics education and pre-engineering programs, you’ll have access to personalized hands-on learning, extensive research opportunities, professional development and so much more.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Understand and apply physics principles to solve problems, maintain a lab journal and assess and use data.
- Gain experience with instrumentation and develop proficiency in collecting and interpreting data.
- Develop and apply simulation techniques and experimental design principles.
- Practice collaboration, oral presentation, scientific writing and laboratory safety skills.
- Develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
Types of Courses
- Calculus-Based Physics
- Electronics: Circuits and Devices
- Modern Physics
- Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Scientific Programming
“My favorite experience has been the opportunity to do undergraduate research with one of my physics professors. As a sophomore, I got my first grant from URSCA to build a fiber optic interferometer with fiber stretchers for use in the upper-level optics class on campus. I got to build something that students will use for years to come and learned a lot about fiber optics and interferometers in the process. I loved it so much that I am currently working on my second URSCA-funded project which involves building an ultrafast pulsed laser.”
– Ian Carter, physics education major, mathematics minor
Physics majors can take many paths when selecting a career. A wide variety of specialty areas gives graduates lots of options in the workforce. Some examples of future careers include:
- Design or Project Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- General Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Research Physicist or Assistant
- Software Engineer
- Systems Engineer or Analyst