At UWRF, expect personalized advising from a pre-health adviser, excellent coursework options and a subset of extracurricular activities designed to prepare you for medical school. You can attend any 4-year college or university and be pre-med. Most students on a pre-med career track at UWRF choose to major in Biology.
Highlights of the Pre-Medical Program
- Medical related research projects will give you opportunities to meet and learn from practicing healthcare professionals.
- 3+4 or 4+4 articulation agreement with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic medicine (the largest medical school in the United States), with associated programs in dentistry and pharmacy.
- 3+1 articulation agreement with the Medical Laboratory Scientist program of the University of Minnesota, and 3+4 articulation agreement with the Palmer College of Chiropractic.
- 3+2 articulation agreement with the Echocardiography program of the Mayo School of Health Sciences, and good record of acceptance into the Surgical First Assistant program of the Mayo School of Health Sciences.
- Recently renovated laboratories designed specifically for inquiry-based instruction.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Develop an ability to communicate in a variety of ways (i.e. written, verbal, non-verbal, technological, etc.) with the ability to effectively manage time.
- Enhance your leadership experience, problem solving ability, good judgment, listening and teamwork, which are critical for working in the health fields.
- Show your commitment to humanity through volunteer and job shadow opportunities in a variety of medical settings and specialties throughout the college career (i.e. primary care physicians, specialties of interest, rural and urban settings, mission trips, etc.)
The career outlook for health-related professions is outstanding for both the short and long term. Health care is definitely one of the hottest fields, measured by growth in the number and types of jobs available, job satisfaction, and salaries offered:
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider: