Why Study Coaching?
Minor | Health and Human Performance | CEBAH
Interested in coaching? UW-River Falls offers a minor in coaching for students interested in coaching a variety of sports at all levels. The program provides a foundation of science-based courses, coaching theory courses and hands-on experience via a coaching practicum, all combining to prepare you for a coaching position at any level.
Of Grads are Employed or Attending Grad School
Countries Represented in the Student Body
firstname.lastname@example.org // 715-425-3774
Area of Study:
Health and Human Performance
Skills and Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of sport rules and regulations, training and practice methods and coaching theories, strategies and techniques.
- Understand the scientific method and key scientific concepts as they related to exercise physiology, anatomy, conditioning, injuries and more.
- Coach athletes at a variety of skill levels to perform at optimal levels.
- Hone broadly applicable lifetime skills including leadership, judgement, facilitation, decision-making and interpersonal communication skills.
Types of Courses
- Applied Anatomy and Exercise Physiology
- Care and Prevention of Athletic Injury
- Coaching Practicum
- Coaching Theory (Baseball/Softball, Football, Track, Ice Hockey, Volleyball, Track, Basketball)
- Coaching Young Athletes
- Motor Learning and Development
- Psychology of Coaching
- Scientific Principles of Conditioning
- Weight Training
A minor in coaching is an excellent complement to many majors, especially education or exercise and sport science majors. Depending on your interests and major, you may find work in a variety of roles, including:
- Coach (Youth, Secondary, Collegiate, Amateur, Professional)
- Recreation/Athletic Administration/Management
- Sport Official
Get More Information
Interested in learning more about UWRF or any of our 70+ areas of study? Just share your contact information and we'll be in touch!