As a Mathematics major at UW-River Falls, you will use your creative mathematical talents to become a problem solver and use the language of mathematics to describe the world. Through study of calculus, discrete mathematics and statistics you will explore abstract reasoning and making sense of mathematical structures.
Highlights of the Mathematics Major
- Participate in the worldwide Mathematics Contest in Modeling.
- Gain employment in the Math Help Center to help teach others.
- Travel to regional mathematics and mathematics education conferences, give talks and present your research.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Apply fundamental concepts of algebra, calculus and discrete mathematics to solve mathematical problems.
- Use mathematics from multiple areas to solve a mathematical problem.
- Read and interpret mathematical essays and valid mathematical proofs.
- Present mathematical ideas clearly both orally and in writing.
- Utilize technology appropriately in solving mathematical problems.
- Demonstrate a depth of knowledge in one area of mathematics.
Jobs are available for mathematicians in a wide variety of
industries and government agencies. Companies involving computers, insurance, finance,
aerospace, control systems and distribution networks regularly hire
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider:
Computer Science & Information Systems