The English Department is home to several different programs meeting the needs and interests of students who wish to study literature, English education, creative and professional writing and language.
Highlights of the English Major
Focus on a variety of disciplines, such as: literature, English education, creative writing or professional writing.
- Collaborate with peers in Stage and Screen Arts to write and produce short films.
- Get practical experience as a Writing Center or ESL Center tutor.
- Serve as an editor of the student literary magazine.
- Teach at an English village in South Korea as a graduate.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Become an insightful and critical thinker, reader, writer, and life-long learner with an awareness of historical, cultural, and philosophical issues that affect citizens.
- Write effectively, think critically, read widely, weigh values, and communicate ideas.
- Be persuasive to a great variety of audiences.
As a graduate of this program, you will be prepared for a wide variety of careers. English can be good preparation for continued graduate or professional training in areas such as English, law, political science/government, public administration, psychology, counseling, banking, human resource management, and communications.
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider:
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages