Biotechnology is a rapidly advancing field that allows scientists to modify and harness the genetic capabilities of organisms. This has led to rapid advances in many areas including pharmaceutical development, agriculture, food microbiology, medical devices and environmental sciences.
Highlights of the Biotechnology Major
- River Falls is well positioned inside of the "biotechnology triangle" consisting of Madison, the Twin Cities, and Rochester, MN. There are many biotech firms in this region that offer opportunities for careers and internships.
- The flexible, yet rigorous curriculum allows students to pursue their passions while obtaining the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in their careers.
- This major provides a wide breadth of courses that allow students to focus on areas of interest within the field of biotechnology including medical, agricultural or industrial biotechnology.
- There are many opportunities for undergraduate research, an experience that makes our graduates desirable to graduate schools and as new hires in the field of biotechnology.
- Students enjoy a friendly community of talented students and knowledgeable faculty ready to help guide them through the challenges of college and planning for employment.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Become proficient in laboratory techniques essential to biotechnology.
- Clearly define questions or problems and develop comprehensive solutions individually and/or collaboratively.
- Analyze biotechnology literature in depth.
- Prepare for success in a field that is rapidly changing.
Students who graduate from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls with a Biotechnology major are prepared for a career in many areas of biotechnology or graduate/professional school. Below is a list of potential job titles and employers that graduates have found employment or internship opportunities with:
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider: