The meat animal program focuses on beef cattle, swine and sheep production. The major educates students in all aspects of farm animal production, including feeding, breeding, health and management. Students also learn about the processing of food and fiber products derived from production animals.
Two emphases are available to help students focus their career path:
- Science emphasis: Includes required hours of chemistry, math and physical and biological sciences in preparation of graduate school or veterinary medicine.
- Management emphasis: Focuses on business and agricultural economics.
Highlights of the Animal Science - Meat Animal Major
- Two laboratory farms provide students with ample opportunities for hands-on interaction with all production animals.
- Jobs at the laboratory farms offer students additional experience to work with the dairy, equine or livestock enterprises and upper-level students can advance into management positions.
- The on-campus dairy and meat processing plants enable students to learn the skills, techniques and safety/health regulations necessary for careers in the production and food industries.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Apply science-based knowledge and best management practices to the effective management of beef, swine or sheep herds for efficient, profitable production.
- Effectively interpret and communicate the latest scientific findings in animal production and apply them to practical farm or ranch situations.
- Understand animal behavior and how to use it for effective animal handling and production.
- Apply basic biochemical and physiological concepts as well as practical skills to the harvesting and processing of animal food products.
As a graduate of this program, you will be prepared for a career in the animal science field. Below is a list of potential job titles and employers
that graduates have found employment or internship opportunities with.
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider:
Animal Science - Companion Animal
Animal Science - Vet Tech