College Credit for High School Students

Youth Options (YOP), PSEO and High School Special Students

Qualified high school students may be allowed to enroll in university courses while still in high school, either through the Wisconsin Youth Options Program (YOP) or as a High School Special Student. YOP provides an opportunity for students enrolled in Wisconsin public high schools to take university courses which have been approved by their high school, with tuition paid by their school district. High School Special Students who take university courses do so at their own expense. 

If you are interested in becoming a Youth Options or High School Special student at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, please review our admission requirements and course selection guidelinesdocument. Youth Options and High School Special students are held to the same admissions requirement as new freshmen (in this case however, no ACT score is needed.)

River Falls is not a participant in the Minnesota Post Secondary Educational Opportunity Program (PSEO). Minnesota students who wish to take college courses while still in high school should contact a Minnesota college in their area about PSEO enrollment. PSEO credits are regularly accepted for degree-seeking students at River Falls.

Credit may also be accepted from the follow programs:

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The University of Wisconsin-River Falls awards credit for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations as approved by UWRF Faculty Senate policy. Credit is considered for satisfactory performance on CLEP General Exams and Subject Exams. Students may take CLEP exams only if they are high school graduates or have completed the equivalent based on the Tests of General Educational Development (GED).

College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Program

The University of Wisconsin-River Falls grants credit for Advanced Placement (AP) Exams according to UW System Policy.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students must have IB send an official score report directly to UWRF to be awarded IB credit. We are instructed by IB not to accept student copies or high school copies as official documents.

When students schedule the IB exams they should list UWRF as a school to receive the IB score report. Students who do not list UWRF as a score recipient when they take the IB must ask IB to send a supplemental score report to UWRF. Students may see http://www.ibo.orglink (click on FAQ) for supplemental score request instructions. Course List Information.

Do you have a question?

Ask us!  Use a complete sentence.



University of Wisconsin-River Falls
410 S. 3rd Street, River Falls WI 54022 USA
Campus Information 715-425-3911