New Student Registration Faculty Advising

Transfer Students

Credit Transfer Tools

Faculty and college advisers, department chairs, and academic deans work with transfer students individually to help them best apply their credits. Prospective transfer students work with their advisers to make the pieces fit. 

Transfer Resources

Please note: If your course is not listed in one of these credit transfer tools, it does not mean your credit won't transfer -- it may indicate the credit has not been evaluated yet. You will work with your adviser to transfer in credit that has not been evaluated. Credit exceptions are very common.  

Transferology website logo transfer tools and course equivalency

  • Transferology is an online tool where you are able to view course equivalencies, see program requirements, enter and store coursework, and even request an evaluation of transfer work against a program.    
  • Go to Transfer Wisconsin to learn more about how courses transfer in the University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, and Tribal College systems.   

Transfer Guides and Articulation Agreements 

Transferring with an Associate Degree

  • Associates of Arts (AA) degrees from Wisconsin and Minnesota will grant a waiver of University Requirements AND General Education requirements. Specific degree, licensure, and prerequisite requirements still must be completed with individual courses. AA degrees from other states are reviewed individually to see if they qualify for a similar waiver.
  • Technical Classes and Technical Degrees (AS - Associate of Science & AAS Associate of Applied Science) are reviewed by faculty advisors for course-by-course transfer.

Completed Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)

  • Completed Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) will grant a waiver of General Education and University Requirements (except for a 1-credit Health and Fitness for Life course). Specific college, degree, licensure, and prerequisite requirements still must be completed with individual courses. 

AP, CLEP, and International Baccalaureate

Credit can be earned based on a variety of exams. UWRF does not award credit for these exams that have been recorded on a previous institution's transcript. The student should have the scores sent directly from the testing agency to River Falls. 

Advanced Placement

International Baccalaureate

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Credit for Military Experience

Military Credit is typically accepted for General Education requirements (Personal Health and Wellness area is often waived for Basic Training completion & Global Perspectives area may be waived for service overseas) and other baccalaureate courses. In order to award credit we must have an official transcript sent.

Awarding of Transfer Credit

An official transfer credit evaluation will be prepared for you by the Registrar's Office upon admission. Credit from non-accredited institutions may be reviewed by the appropriate department to determine appropriate application of transfer credits. A maximum of 72 credits can be accepted from community and technical colleges. A minimum of 30 credits must be completed at UW-River Falls (with 6 credits in the major and 3 credits in the minor). 

Transfer Credit Policy [PDF]

Prior Learning Policy [PDF]

Contact Us

Admissions Office
103 David Rodli Hall
M-F, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.