UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN River Falls
1.3.1 University of Wisconsin System Mission
The mission of the System is to develop human resources, to discover and disseminate knowledge, to extend knowledge and its application beyond the boundaries of its campuses, and to serve and stimulate society by developing in students heightened intellectual, cultural and humane sensitivities, scientific, professional and technological expertise and a sense of purpose. Inherent in this broad mission are methods of instruction, research, extended training and public service designed to educate people and improve the human condition. Basic to every purpose of the System is the search for truth.
1.3.2 University Cluster Core Mission
As institutions in the University Cluster of the University of Wisconsin System, the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, the University of Wisconsin-Stout, the University of Wisconsin- Superior and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater share the following core mission. Within the approved differentiation stated in their select missions, each university in the cluster shall:
1.3.3 Select Mission of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls
In addition to the system and core missions, the University of Wisconsin-River Falls has as its
select mission that:
1.3.4 Shared Vision and Expectations of the Academic Community at River Falls
The University of Wisconsin-River Falls is an academic community composed of students, faculty, staff, and administrators. This academic community shares a common vision of working together to provide an excellent environment for learning, emphasizing the importance of faculty-student interactions in academic advising, classrooms, laboratories, and co-curricular activities.
As with any community, there is a shared vision that is subscribed to by all members. This vision ensures common purpose within the academic community. This shared vision protects, enhances, and empowers individuals, while fostering a positive learning environment. As members of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls campus community, our vision is to:
The achievement of this shared vision is the responsibility of the entire academic community. It is the academic community as a whole that determines the quality of education at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. Our daily actions as individual members should be in accordance with the shared expectations of the academic community. Therefore, all members of the academic community have a shared expectation to:
This documentation of expected behaviors and actions at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls is presented in the united spirit of an academic community with a shared vision. By focusing our energy and attention toward fulfilling the ideals presented in this document, we, as an academic community, will be able to achieve an excellent learning environment. We cannot mandate that these expectations be upheld, but adherence to these shared expectations will ensure that the rights and privileges of individuals and groups are preserved. [FS 93/94 #31]
1.3.5 Vision and Values
INTEGRITY—We earn trust through honesty and ethical behavior.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE—We help students attain their full potential as critical thinkers, effective communicators and committed life-long learners by providing personalized, integrated educational experiences.
INCLUSIVENESS—We create an environment of mutual respect, professional behavior, academic freedom and appreciation of individual differences and rich cultural diversity.
COMMUNITY—We intentionally cultivate leadership through community engagement and public service in the spirit of the Wisconsin Idea.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT—We strive for excellence through decisions based on information and analysis.
Our mission is to:
Help students learn so that they are successful as productive, creative, ethical, engaged citizens and leaders with an informed global perspective.
We will be the learning nucleus of the St. Croix Valley. We will act in close collaboration with communities, institutions and private enterprise to create a dynamic economy, sustainable communities and environment, and an optimum quality of life. Our efforts will be firmly rooted in unbounded inquiry and a cultivated sense of civility, public service and creative expression. We will be a highly accessible gateway to explore the full range of human potential. We will inspire and educate citizens and leaders who, guided by core values, will purposefully and ethically serve society. We will link our students and our communities to global opportunities and collaborative relationships in the St. Croix Valley, in Wisconsin and beyond. We will be a life-long learning partner for all those who seek to discover their own potential and the richness and complexity of our multifaceted world.
1.3.6 Strategic Planning: Living the Promise 2007-1012
Strategic goals for UW-River Falls were developed following an inclusive strategic planning process involving faculty, staff, administrators and students from across campus.
During Fall 2006, Strategic Planning Working Groups developed initiatives and tasks for these goals and the Faculty Senate reviewed and approved this work.
Following planning meetings between the Faculty Senate Executive Committee and members of the administration, Chancellor Betz introduced the strategic plan, Living the Promise 2007-2012, at an all-campus meeting on February 22, 2007.
220.127.116.11 Living the Promise 2007-2012 Goals:
1. Create a culture of learning: UWRF will develop and sustain a strong learning environment on the campus and beyond. We will support both student learning and faculty learning through research, scholarly and creative activity.
2. Model sustainability principles: UWRF will model and champion the principles of sustainable community development.
3. Expand global literacy and engagement: UWRF will integrate international and global experiences, learning and attitudes throughout the University.
4. Develop engaged leaders: UWRF will create an institutional culture that teaches, promotes and rewards leadership that positively impacts external and internal communities.
5. Foster a culture of inclusiveness: UWRF will create a supportive community that embraces our differences and builds understanding.
6. Promote the University of Wisconsin - River Falls: UWRF will create and apply an integrated market strategy.
7. Invest in human resources: UWRF will invest in the present and future quality of the University.
8. Enhance the use of technology: UWRF will build an effective technological infrastructure to support the increasing demand and will provide the continuing training and support services needed to meet the institution’s growing needs.
9. Invest in facilities to support our mission: UWRF will invest its resources in facilities that support identified institutional needs.
10. Secure financial resources: UWRF will build a sound base of fiscal resources that will enable the University to fulfill its mission and goals
The strategic planning operating paradigm, the details of the final ten strategic goals, and accompanying tasks and initiatives that form the nucleus of Living the Promise are outlined at