Use multiple approaches for finding jobs & internships, as no single approach is a guaranteed success. Finding a job in a difficult job market may take 3-6 months, meanwhile competitive fields may take longer - perserverance and creativity are keys to success.
Job search guides
Effective job search techniques
- Grow and utilize your network of professional contacts, which is known to be one of the most powerful approaches during a job search (More).
- Complete an internship or volunteer in your career field. Employers often hire their interns and volunteers, or look favorably on recent grads who have valuable internship and volunteer experiences (More).
- Conduct informational interviews of professionals working in your field (More).
- Create an online identity that will impress employers, and clean-up any "digital dirt" that gives a negative impression of you (More).
- Join a professional association in your field to attend their events and connect with professionals (More).
- Attend career fairs and events to gain exposure to hiring organizations (More).
- Use targeted online job sites, especially sites related to your specific field (See links on this page). Use a "Job Agent" to have newly posted jobs emailed directly to you (More).
- Research potential employers (More) and bookmark the web sites of those where you would like to work. Get to know individuals within companies via social networking (More) and through informational interviews (More).
- Search the classifieds in the locations where you are seeking work.
- Read about career news and trends to learn where job growth and opportunities exist (More).