Applying for Financial Aid

More than half of the students at River Falls fund their education through various types of financial aid. 

It is very common and there are resources available to help you! We recommend eight steps to applying for financial aid.

  1. Pick up a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) from your high school guidance office or use the online form. A FAFSA determines how much money you and your family must contribute each year for your education.

  2. Check out as many sources as you can find for scholarships. Your high school guidance counselor is an excellent resource. You might also consider visiting your local library or the Internet to find out about organizations offering scholarships. Keep in mind, these resources are free, you should NEVER pay for this information.

  3. Complete and submit the FAFSA to the address indicated on the form. Remember to turn in your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 of the year you plan to attend school. Also, be sure to list the UW-River Falls FAFSA code (003923) so we receive your results.

  4. Your FAFSA will be evaluated using a standard formula which takes into account you and your family's income, assets, as well as other special circumstances. This evaluation determines the amount you and your family will need to contribute to the cost of your education. The difference between the cost of your education and your family's contribution is called need. This is the amount of financial aid you're eligible to receive.

  5. Within a few weeks, you'll receive a Student Aid Report which lists all the information you provided on the application. Make sure all the information is correct. If not, send any corrections back to the federal processor.

  6. After we receive your results, you'll be notified of all the financial details in an award letter. This letter will show your expected family contribution, as well as the types and amounts of financial aid for which you're eligible.

  7. When you receive your financial aid offer, consider your options carefully. If you have questions about your award, don't hesitate to contact the UW-RF Office of Financial Aid (715) 425-3141.

  8. If scholarships and grants don't cover your expenses, your financial aid package may include a student loan. You may also be eligible for other alternative loan programs designed for all families whether or not they have financial need.

Contact Us

Admissions Office
103 Rodli Hall
M-F, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.