Contact Us


Do I have to live on campus?

UWRF does enforce the UW-System 2-year live on campus residency requirement.  Please review the policy information on our webpage to see if you qualify for an exemption.  Even if you don’t have to live on campus, you may want to consider doing so as the majority of our residence hall students find that on-campus living does have many benefits.

Do I get to choose my own roommate?

Yes. We offer an online roommate matching service for students who would like to select their own roommate. This is done through the housing contract.  Or, if you want to experience college the traditional way, we’ll be happy to assign you a roommate.

Why should I consider signing up for a Learning Community?

Learning Communities offer first year students the opportunity to participate in a cohort of classes with students on their same floor. This makes it easier to form study groups, ask questions of peers and Learning Community students have an easier time getting to know their professors. Generally, the national research would show that Learning Community students stay in college, graduate, and are overall, more satisfied with their collegiate experience.

Do I have to have a meal plan if I live on campus?

All residence hall students, with the exception of students residing in George R. Field South Fork Suites are required to be on a meal plan.

Can I bring a car to campus?

Yes, although you may want to consider asking yourself if you really need a car. Downtown River Falls and its amenities are in close proximity to campus.  View parking information and guidelines.

When will I find out my housing assignment?

Room assignments are sent to students' UWRF email accounts as soon as they are available.  Assignments are typically made by July 1st for students starting in the fall, and in January for students started in the spring.  Contracts submitted after initial assignments are made will be assigned periodically until the start of the semester.  Once assignments have been made, we regret that we cannot accommodate requests for changes.  Room and hall changes are typically allowed withing 2-4 weeks after the semester begins as space allows, after the "room move freeze" is lifted.

What if I need to cancel my housing contract?

Please see our webpage for information related to cancelling a housing contract.  If you are currently living on-campus, be sure to talk to your RA because students need to check out with hall staff before leaving campus.

If I have further questions about Residence Life and on-campus living, who should I contact?

The best way to get your questions answered in a timely fashion is to e-mail us at We do our best to respond to you within two business days. If you have specific questions related to your housing assignment, billing, etc. always include your student ID number.

Contact Us

Department of Residence Life
Division of Student Affairs
M-F, 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
B3 East Hathorn Hall