International Students

International students 

How do my English skills affect my admission into the University of Wisconsin-River Falls?

The English Language Transition (ELT) Program at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls provides intensive English language courses for degree-seeking students.  Admission to the ELT program indicates that a student is academically qualified for admission, but they have not yet met the English language requirement.

What can I expect at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls?

You can expect to:

  • Be part of a diverse campus community with 6,000+ students from rural, urban, and suburban areas and 20 different countries!
  • Experience all the advantages of a safe, friendly community with the benefits of living near a major metropolitan area. Located on the east edge of the Minneapolis/St. Paul (MN) metro area, the city of River Falls is easily within reach of professional internships, major league sports, museums, shopping, and much more.
  • Challenge yourself with our academic programs. More than 70 areas of study are offered in the Colleges of Arts and Sciences; Education and Professional Studies; Business and Economics; and Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences.
  • Make connections with faculty and staff that have a strong commitment to helping you succeed.
  • Get involved. More than 150 student organizations are waiting for you! Academic, volunteer, sports, ethnic, political, religious, and residence life groups are a great way for you to meet new people and develop important leadership and communication skills.

Am I required to have health insurance while enrolled at UW-River Falls?

All F-1 and J-1 Visa holders and their spouses/dependents are required to purchase the University of Wisconsin System's comprehensive hospital and medical insurance plan upon enrollment. 

I am an exchange student and would like to bring my spouse and children to join me in the U.S. What should I do?

We discourage exchange students from bringing dependents to the U.S. during their short-term study because of limited family housing options.  If you have questions regarding your dependants, please contact International Student Admissions.

I am a degree-seeking student and I want my spouse and/or children to join me in the U.S. What should I do?

If you want to bring your spouse and/or children to the United States, you will need to request a dependent I-20 from International Student Admissions and provide documentation of additional funds, as well as proof of your relationship. 

I want to work on the campus? Is this okay?

F-1 and J-1 students holding a valid UW-River Falls I-20 or DS-2019  are eligible to work on the campus. Students transferring to UWRF from another U.S. college or ESL program must have their transfer authorized by International Student Services before they are eligible for employment. Employment is limited to 20 hours/week while school is in session and up to 40 hours/week during semester breaks and the summer vacation period. 

I am an F-1 student and I want to gain work experience outside of campus in a job related to my field of study. How can I accomplish this?

You may be able to obtain Curricular Practical Training authorization to work in a job related to your field of study. Contact International Student Services regarding eligibility requirements and the application process.