Living in the Halls

Amenities and Services

As you make the transition to college, your residence hall is designed to provide you with everything you need to be successful in your "home away from home."

Every residence hall has a variety of common spaces for students to use, such as media rooms, study rooms, and kitchens. Students using kitchens need to bring their own kitchen supplies.

Learn more about Room Design.

Bikes are welcomed on campus, however, they are not allowed to be stored inside the residence halls. Bike racks are located on each side of campus, adjacent to the residence halls.

A limited number of enclosed bike lockers are available for rent on a first-come, first-served basis near the residence halls. Fill out the Bike Locker Rental Agreement Form to reserve a bike locker, available on the Residence Life website. The cost is $60 per academic year and $25 for the summer.

University Police offers a free bicycle license program which records each bike’s information (make, model, serial number, color, and owner information). Bicycle Registration will assist in the recovery of lost or missing bicycles and help reduce the potential theft of bicycles. Contact the University Police with questions (715-425-3133).

All residence halls are Wi-Fi enabled. Learn more about the campus internet service, cable and streaming television, printing, and more on the Technology in the Halls webpage or through the Division of Technology Services.

On-campus residents enrolled in a meal plan who are unable to go to dining locations on campus due to illness may request an Isolation Meal Box. For more information about the Isolation Meal Box plan and request form, visit the Dining Services webpage.

Laundry facilities are located in each hall in either the basement or individual communities, depending on the building. Laundry machines are free to residents. Each resident must provide their own detergent and dryer sheets. It is recommended that residents use detergent pods, as they work best in our high efficiency machines. With the Laundry View app, residents can also determine when a machine is available and/or when their laundry is done. If a machine is not working, call the phone number on the machine for repair. More information can be found at the Laundry View webpage at

If a resident believes that they have lost any items, they can check with their hall director, the University Center Information Desk or University Police to see if the item has been turned in to the campus lost and found.


Residents have secure mailboxes in their residence hall they can access with their room key. Letters are delivered to residence hall mailboxes Monday through Friday.


Packages for residence hall students are delivered to the Hathorn Mail Center. Students receive an email when their item is ready to be picked up from the Hathorn Mail Center during business hours. Residents must retrieve their own mail and will need to present their UWRF ID.

Returning Items

The resident’s name must be written clearly on any mail/packages along with their correct hall and room number. Residents should inform family and friends to not send cash and to certify anything of value with the post office. Mail that cannot be identified by staff or delivered due to an incomplete address will be returned to the sender. 

Contact the Hathorn Mail Center with questions regarding mail at 715-425-0704 or


For six months after a student moves out of their residence hall room, only first-class and priority mail will be forwarded to the mailing address that the student has provided in eSIS. If this address is not correct or is not where they wish to have their mail sent, it is the student’s responsibility to change their mailing address in eSIS here:

Prior to leaving the residence hall for the summer break, residents should update their mailing addresses in eSIS, with companies, family members and friends to ensure they get their mail.

Outgoing Mail

Only outgoing letters may be sent from the residence halls as the United States Postal Service picks up regularly. Residents are not able to send outgoing packages from the Hathorn Mail Center.


General Maintenance & Custodial

Student assistance in reporting maintenance or custodial conditions in our residence halls is essential. If residents have concerns regarding maintenance or custodial conditions, they should submit a work order.

Submit a Work Order



Elevators are available in Ames and South Fork Suites, as well as Crabtree, Hathorn, Johnson and May halls. If an elevator is not working, inform Residence Life staff immediately.


Residents are able to make adjustments to the level of heat in their rooms. If they believe the room is too hot or cold, they should contact residence hall staff. Personal heating or air conditioning units are not permitted.


If a light bulb in a resident’s room burns out, submit a work order to have the light bulb replaced as soon as possible. 

Microwave & Mini Fridge Units

Micro Fridge units are provided in most residence hall rooms. The micro fridge units have a refrigerator component and a microwave. Separating the unit is considered vandalism and a resident may be charged restitution for the repair of the unit. It is advised that students defrost their refrigerator/freezer at least once during the academic year.

Instead of micro fridge units, the George R. Field South Fork Suites includes a kitchenette which has a full-size refrigerator and microwave.

The Division of Technology Services (DoTS), located in 160 Davee Library, provides technology support to all students, faculty and staff, and residents at UW-River Falls.

Residents can get help by visiting the Technology in the Halls web page for the following topics:

  • Connect your device
  • Cable television and channels
  • Download Office 365
  • Find your MAC address
  • Printing
  • Reset your password
  • Student ID assistance

Technology assistance should be directed to DoTS at, 715-425- 3687, or visit the DoTS website.

Residents are responsible for removing trash and recycling on a regular basis to maintain cleanliness. Trash and recycling should be placed in the appropriate receptacles located outside each residence hall.

Vending machines are located within each residence hall. They accept cash and credit cards. Residents who experience any issue with the vending machines should contact the phone number located on the machine to address their concerns. Residents can also work through vending machine issues or refunds at the University Center’s Information Desk.

Contact Us

Department of Residence Life
M-F, 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
B3 East Hathorn Hall