Welcome . . .

to the UWRF Physics/Chemistry/Engineering page. We offer several options for students wanting to become engineers.

I. Physics/Engineering or Chemistry/Engineering Dual Degree Program: Two Degrees!

Earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Physics for Industry and Engineering (APIE) OR Chemistry from UWRF and an Engineering Degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program at one of our partners. Partners have included the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Wisconsin–Madison, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, UW-Platteville, and the University of Minnesota-Duluth; however, we can partner with almost any accredited engineering institution as long as the student meets the admissions requirements of the engineering institution.

Engineering degrees available include:

  • Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • Computer Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Engineering Mechanics and Astronautics
  • Engineering Physics
  • Geoengineering
  • Geological Engineering
  • Industrial Engineering
  • Industrial and Systems Engineering
  • Materials Engineering
  • Materials Science and Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Nuclear Engineering

Degrees earned:
B.S. Applied Physics for Industry & Engineering or Chemistry, UWRF
B.S. Engineering, UM-Twin Cities, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, UM-Duluth, UW-Platteville or another accredited engineering institution
Years to completion: About 5

II. Agricultural Engineering/Environmental Engineering/ Engineering Technology

Earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Engineering Technology.
The College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences (CAFES) offers two different engineering tracks - Agricultural Engineering and Environmental Engineering. Agricultural Engineering offers three options to focus your degree:  Machinery Systems, Food and Process Systems, and Natural Resources and Environmental Systems.
Engineering Technology major offers four emphasis areas: Conservation Technology, Food and Bioprocessing Systems, Test Engineering Technology, and Agricultural Systems Management.

Contact Joel Peterson, chair of Agricultural Engineering Technology, for more information. 

Degrees earned:
B.S. Agricultural Engineering, UWRF
B.S. Environmental Engineering, UWRF
B.S. Engineering Technology, UWRF
Years to completion: 4 

III. Pre-Engineering: Begin your engineering degree at UWRF

Complete two years of coursework at UWRF and about two years of work at an engineering university. We offer all the physics, mathematics and chemistry you need plus your first engineering and electronics courses. You can save money and enjoy a supportive environment while making excellent progress toward your degree.

Degrees earned:
B.S. Engineering
Years to completion: About 4

IV. Bachelor of Science - Applied Physics for Industry and Engineering (APIE) & Master of Science (or PhD) in Engineering

Earn a Bachelor of Science in Applied Physics for Industry and Engineering at UWRF and a Masters or PhD in Engineering from an engineering graduate school. Note that almost all graduate work in science and engineering is financially supported through tuition remission and a salary or stipend for being a teaching assistant or research assistant. Some students receive fellowships as well. Unlike many other fields, students pursuing Masters and PhD work in science and engineering fields do not take on debt to do so. 

►View the sample 4-year plans for APIE and the four areas of emphasis that APIE majors can pursue in Optics and Electronics, Mechanics, Entrepreneurship, and/or Biology.

Degrees earned:
B.S. Applied Physics for Industry & Engineering, UWRF
M.S. or Ph.D. in Engineering, engineering university
Years to completion: About 6 (more for a PhD)


Contact Us

Physics Department
127 Centennial Science Hall

Facebook IconTwitter Icon