Counseling Services

Resident Assistant Resources

The resources on this page are available to assist in supporting the work of Resident Assistants. 

If you have any questions, please contact the Residence Life Staff or Counseling Services at 715-425-3884.

Here is a link to the RA Training PowerPoint used by Counseling Services with many helpful references. A few of the resources in this powerpoint include myths about counseling, referral support, reasons counseling works, and self-care resources.



Great Resources!

Self-Help A-Z



Residents will often seek out their RA for help with minor to serious problems. Similarly, RA's are often the first to notice that a resident may be struggling with an issue or problem. As a first responder RA's can provide support and serve as a resource for the residents. However, there are times when it is important to refer a resident who may be in need of more support than you are able to provide.

When to refer

  •     A resident seeks you out over and over with the same problem(s) and does not seem to take any steps to improve his/her situation, except to come back to talk to you.
  •     A resident continues to struggle despite his/her and your best efforts to address the concerns.
  •     You feel the urge to rescue the resident from the pain/hurt he/she is feeling.
  •     Another resident or parent contacts you over and over about a resident.
  •     You want to solve the problem for the resident.
  •     You are feeling helpless, trapped, or overwhelmed.
  •     The resident is not making sense to you, i.e., has wild and bizarre behaviors
  •     Makes impossible plans
  •     Hears/sees things you don’t hear/see
  •     Talks about drug/alcohol use
  •     Talks about a history of problems
  •     Has no future orientation
  •     Is withdrawn or isolates self
  •     Talks often about suicide or death
  •     Behaves as if he/she doesn’t belong
  •     Is overly controlling


1.    Whenever possible, have the student make the appointment. If necessary, make the appointment for the resident and if needed, accompany the resident to the appointment.
2.    If necessary, let the resident know that the counselor can be asked to call to discuss the concerns before he/she makes an appointment.
3.    Remember, once the resident meets with the counselor, the counselor cannot discuss the case with you without written permission from the resident.
4.    Follow up with the resident to see if they followed through with the referral.
       a.    If they did, ask what the experience was like.
       b.    If they did not follow through, ask for their reasons and look for another solution.

The information in this section comes from UWRF's R.A. Helping Skills Training Manual. If you have questions about the information in this section, please speak with Residence Life Staff or Counseling Services.


Contact Us

Student Health and Counseling Services
Student Health Services: 715-425-3293
Counseling Services: 715-425-3884
M-F: 8 am - 4:30 pm
254 Rodli Hall