Frequently Asked Questions

What sets the UWRF School Counseling Program apart from other programs?

There are multiple reasons for selecting the UWRF School Counseling Program:

  • CACREP Accredited Program
  • Department faculty have prior school counseling experience with knowledge of current issues facing students and school districts.
  • All courses are designed with a focus on school counseling.
  • Location on the border of Wisconsin/Minnesota allows for access to diverse practicum and internship sites.
  • Strong reputation with area partners and school districts.

What is CACREP?

The national Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) outlines the best practices for counseling training programs. These programs are reviewed on a yearly basis, with changes implemented to continue promoting best practices within each program.

What are the application deadlines?

Program applications must be submitted by October 1 for spring admission and February 1 for fall admission. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Click here to see what is needed for a complete application.

What type of degree will I have upon completing the Counseling program?

You will earn a Master of Science in Education (M.S.E.) degree. Completion of all program requirements includes passing your coursework, comprehensive examination, practicum, and internship.

How many credits will I need to graduate?

Students starting the program in or after fall 2022 will need 60 credit hours to graduate.

Will the transition to a 60-credit requirement extend my time in the program?

No. Credits earned from specific courses will be increased to accommodate the new requirement. These courses include practicum (4 credits), internship (4 credits each), COUN 798: Independent Study/small group research (2 credits) and elective courses (2 credits each).

How will my financial aid be impacted by additional credits?

To qualify for financial aid, a student must be enrolled in a minimum of 4 credits. By increasing the credits in practicum and internship, students will be able to take these courses at a pace more advantageous for their unique circumstances while still qualifying for financial aid.

Why should I care about a shift from a 48-credit program to a 60-credit program?

Graduating from a CACREP accredited school counseling program is advantageous for school counselors seeking licensure and finding employment following the end of their master's programs. In addition, the UWRF school counseling program is focused on best practices and training as outlined by the CACREP standards.

How many credits are considered full-time?

Full-time attendance at the graduate level is considered nine credits or more, usually the equivalent of three classes. After fall 2022, the credits for the following courses will increase to accommodate the shift to a 60-credit hour program:

  • Practicum (4 credits)
  • Internship (4 credits each)
  • COUN 798: Independent Study (2 credits)
  • Elective courses (2 credits each)

With the increases in credits, it is likely that students will be taking more than nine credits during a semester. Contact your adviser with any questions or concerns regarding the number of credits being taken each semester.

Will I be required to take the Praxis exam? If so, when can I take it?

No. There is currently no requirement in MN or WI to complete the Praxis exam for license. However, the Counseling Program strongly encourages students to take the exam to enhance license portability between states, and while knowledge of course content is still current.

We recommend waiting to take the exam until all core coursework is completed. We also recommend for students to have started an internship before taking the test. Students should register for their preferred test date well in advance.

Please visit the this link for more information on the Praxis exam.

Are there any other exams that I will be required to complete?

Following complete of all coursework, students will be required to take the Counseling Program Comprehensive Exam. This exam draws upon knowlegde from all courses within the Counseling Program and assesses the readiness of students to begin their required counseling internships.

Who will be my academic adviser?

Your academic adviser is assigned to you when you are admitted into the program. The name and contact information for your adviser is on your letter of acceptance and provided at the new student orientation.

What are my parking options?

Please visit University Parking for more information. Different street parking options are available to students who do not wish to utilize Pay Lot parking.

How/where do I purchase textbooks for my classes?

Textbooks may be purchased from any vendor of choice. The estimate total cost for required texts to the complete program is between $800-$1,000.

You can find textbook requirements on the syllabus about one week ahead of the start of class. Contact your course instructor with questions about textbooks.

Do I need to have a teaching license to become a school counselor?


What license does a school counselor need?

Upon completion of the program, individuals will be eligible to obtain the Wisconsin or Minnesota state licensure for school counseling. For more details, please visit the this link.

You can check with each state's department of education for specific license requirements.

What opportunities are available for a student to become more involved with the School Counseling Program?

The UWRF Counseling Program values the input and involvement of its students. Multiple opportunities exist for students to become more involved with the program such as:

  • Graduate Assistantships
  • MSCA Mentors?Presentations
  • WSCA Presentations
  • Student Group Leadership/Participation

Please visit the following links regarding information on student involvement within the School Counseling Program:

School Counseling Student Association

Counseling Professional Organizations

What support services exist for students?

UWRF offers many support services for students, included in tuition. A comprehensive list of services and links to contact information can be found at this link.

Class Information

In what order should I take my classes?

Students will meet with their advisers to complete a customized Degree Plan which will outline when classes should be taken. Degree Plans must be completed within the first semester of coursework. COUN 610: Introduction to School Counseling is a prerequisite to all core coursework and must be taken during your first semester in the program.

When are courses typically offered?

Courses occur Monday through Thursday, typically from 4:30-7:15 p.m., fall and spring semesters. Summer and J-Term course offerings vary depending on the term.

Can I take classes part-time?

Yes. One benefit of our program is that it allows students to choose their own pace. The program must be completed within seven years, so students often take classes part-time. We recommend students take no more than nine credits (full-time) in any semester. Talk with your adviser to map out your Degree Plan.

Are there online class options?

Occasionally classes are offered online, or in a hybrid format (part online, part in-person). Due to the nature of counseling being a person-oriented, interactive profession, we prefer in-person classes to facilitate optimal learning and skill development.

How do courses differ between in-person and hybrid methods of instruction?

In-person classes are conducted in the classrooms with a blend of lecture, small group and discussion-based lessons. Hybrid courses are taught with a blend of online discussions and lectures with skills practiced within classroom and lab settings. 

What if I do not have reasonable access to technology for hybrid or online courses?

Contact your instructor with your specific concerns. They will work with you and the Division of Technology Services (DoTS) for options and/or financial aid to support your online needs. Stay in contact with your adviser regarding any additional questions or concerns.

What online learning platform is currently used for courses?

UWRF currently uses Canvas as their online learning platform for all courses. Additionally, video conferencing tools such as Zoom, Webex, and Microsoft Teams may be used for some class meetings.

How do I register for classes?

Registration is done by logging into eSIS using your student ID and password. Once logged in, click on "enroll" from the homepage and select the correct semester. From there, select the department that offers your desired course. A list of courses will appear and you can choose the course you wish to take.

Can I take classes without being admitted to the program?

Yes. Students may take one three-credit course (COUN 610: Introduction to School Counseling) without being officially admitted to the program. A short "Non-Candidate for Degree" application is required. Speak with the department or program chair to find out more.

Are there opportunities for conducting independent research with faculty?

The UWRF School Counseling Program offers courses in research where students learn the basics behind conducting field-based research and then apply this knowledge to complete an independent research project, utilizing student data from an exsiting school district.

Field Experiences

Is liability insurance required and how do I go about obtaining liability insurance coverage for practicum and internship?

Yes, beginning in fall 2022, individual liability insurance is required. Options for coverage will be discussed prior to practicum and internship. Talk with your adviser about options that will work best for you.

When do I begin my practicum experience?

The practicum is completed during the second or third semester in the program and after COUN 610. Talk with your adviser about when you should take the practicum.

When do I begin my internship experience?

The internship may be completed after successfully passing all core counseling courses, passing the comprehensive examination and attending a mandatory pre-internship meeting. Students may complete the three internships in one, two or three semesters. Talk with your adviser about your Degree Plan.

Will I be placed at a school for the practicum or internship?

No. Students must find their own field placement sites within two hours of UWRF. Program Practicum and Internship Coordinators assist you in this process by providing consultation, resources, and contacts. Attending the mandatory pre-practicum and pre-internship meetings will provide the necessary information to find placement sites.

For more information on practicum and internship experiences, please visit the following links:



Paying for Graduate School

Which scholarships can I apply for?

UWRF offers several scholarships for Counseling program students. Also, professional organizations like the Wisconsin School Counselor Association (WSCA) offer scholarships for graduate students. Check out the Minnesota School Counselors Association (MSCA) or the American School Counselors Association (ASCA) for other options.

Does the program offer graduate assistantships?

Yes. Graduate assistant positions are available to students. They require 8-12 hours of work per week. Assistantships involve many projects that support the program and students, including website editing, data management, and research for the program. Openings are posted on the Counseling listserv and on Facebook.

How can I apply for financial aid?

Visit the Financial Aid Office for more information. Generally, you will need to complete a FAFSA.

How is financial aid eligibility determined for J-term and summer courses?

First, make sure to complete your FAFSA. Financial aid applications for J-term and summer courses can be found under the folloing links. Applications are processed manually, with additional financial aid determined by the number of credits being taken and the amount of financial aid remaining for the academic year. For summer courses, a minimum of four credits must be taken in order to qualify.

J-term Financial Aid Application

Summer Financial Aid Application

Contact Us

Suelle Micallef Marmara
231 Wyman Education Building