Please Review all Directions Carefully Before Beginning Your License Application.
Before you begin your license application, The UWRF College of Education and Professional Studies is required to submit your license information to the Wisconsin Department of Pubic Instruction (DPI). If you are a current student this will be competed once you finish all requirements in your program. Students who completed their program(s) before 12/31/2013, will need to complete the form at the bottom of this page to request UW River Falls review and submit your license information to the Wisconsin Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system. Please follow the following steps when applying for any type of license in ELO:
How to Apply
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct.
- Confirm with your EPP that your license endorsement has already been submitted to the DPI. This Endorsed Candidates for Licensure (ECL) data is required to complete your online license application. If you are unsure whether your EPP has submitted this data to the DPI, please contact the Certification Officer at your EPP.
- If you determine that you need to provide documentation, please scan to files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
- Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the three drop-downs in the application screenshot below:
- Choose "1-Teacher Category"
- Choose "A-Teacher (including 5-Year Sub) [T001}"
- Choose "Teacher: Request New Educator License - In State WI Program "
- Click the “GO!” button.
- Complete each page of the application as instructed. Review your Application Summary and edit information if necessary OR click the “SUBMIT” button to submit your application.
NOTE: Anyone who is applying for (or already holds) a Career & Tech Ed (CTE) license in Business Education, Family and Consumer Education, or Technology Education who wants to ALSO add on a CTE vocational license (e.g., Business & Office, Food Services, Construction) must submit the T001-1021 (Request Vocational License 5 year) transaction before going to the ELO Cart to pay.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see Check Application Status.
- ELO Public Search for Wisconsin Licensed Educators - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo-public-search
- Setting up a WAMS account (YouTube) https://youtu.be/KBti-W3itvM
- Electronic Fingerprint Submission for Wisconsin Licensing through Fieldprint - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/backgroundcheck/electronic-fingerprint-submission