Risk Management

Personal Vehicle Use

  • Faculty, staff, and students who choose to use their own vehicles for travel on class field trips or when attending other off campus events that are official university activities, need to be aware that their own personal auto insurance will be the primary liability coverage in the event of an accident.   Only excess insurance coverage will be provided to drivers when using their personal vehicles.  Therefore, it is important for travel leaders to validate that anyone driving their personal vehicle will assure the following:

    • Driver has a valid regular driver’s license

    • Driver is approved as an "authorized" driver for UWRF and has completed and submitted the Driver's Authorization-Vehicle Use Agreement form to Risk Management.

    • Proof of auto insurance is available in the vehicle (UW System Risk Management suggests limits of at least $100,000/$300,000/$50,000.) *

    • Vehicle is in good mechanical condition and is serviced regularly

    • Seat belts are available and functional with each individual required to wear one

    • If a driver is traveling on state business and is to be reimbursed mileage, they must be approved to drive a state vehicle, even if they are driving their own personal vehicle.

* For example, the first two numbers in 100,000/300,000/50,000 would mean in an accident each person injured would receive a maximum of up to $100,000 with only 300,000 allowed per accident (ex. 2 people needing $100,000 if the need is more such as 4 people needing 100,000 then whoever files first gets first access to the $300,000 limit and you may be sued for the rest if the accident was your fault!). The last number refers to the total coverage per accident for property damage which in this case would be $50,000.

Contact Us

Risk Management
Jeanna Hayes
Phone: 715-425-3344
25H North Hall

Facebook Icon