All prospective music majors will have the opportunity to showcase their musical strengths and visit with music faculty about their goals (and more) as part of their Music Major Entrance Expo. Entrance Expos will consist of four components, including: (a) Music Showcase, (b) Interview, (c) Music Theory Placement, and (d) References. Each of these components is described below.
Music Showcase - All prospective music majors will be asked to share their musical talents with music faculty as part of their Entrance Expo. Recognizing that prospective music majors have a wide variety of musical interests and experiences, students may showcase their talents in a variety of ways, including:
- Performance - perform music (or submit YouTube video recordings of performances), including standard solo literature, etudes, show tunes, personal compositions, improvisation, etc
- Leadership - share videos related to leadership experiences (e.g., conducting, coaching, teaching, etc)
- Composition - share musical compositions and arrangements via audio recordings, playback on related software, musical scores, etc
- Digital Media - share multimedia presentations, digital creations, etc
- Other - other music-related options, as applicable
Interview - All prospective music majors will have the opportunity to visit with music faculty about their career goals as part of their Entrance Expo. Please plan to share your hopes and dreams for your time at UWRF (and beyond), elaborate on your Music Showcase components (see above), and ask any questions that you have regarding UW-River Falls, music opportuntieis at UWRF, or the degree path you hope to pursue (e.g., music education, music business, etc).
Music Skills Placement – All prospective music majors will be asked to complete the Music Skills Placement as part of their Entrance Expo, which will allow us to guide students into the appropriate Musicianship and Aural Skills classes during their first year of study. During this assessment, students will have an opportunity to tell us about their past music experiences and demonstrate their understanding of music fundamentals and aural skills.
References - As part of the Entrance Expo registration process, prospective students will be asked to supply names and contact information (email and phone) for two references who can speak on their behalf (e.g., band teacher, private lesson instructor, camp director, etc). Be sure to ask permission and obtain contact information (email & phone) before starting the registration process.