The Pre-Veterinary Medicine program at UW-River Falls
prepares students for veterinary school and, ultimately, a career as a veterinarian.
Most pre-veterinary students declare their major as animal science, dairy
science or biology because many courses in the pre-vet program count towards
one of these degrees.
the Pre-Vet Program
- Our program requirements meet the requirements for admission into most schools or colleges of veterinary medicine.
- Our students typically have great success applying to Upper Midwest schools such as the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, and the Iowa State University in Ames, IA.
- We offer a 3+1 degree option for high caliber students who are accepted into veterinary school prior to completing their Bachelor's degree in animal science or dairy science. Those students, who complete at least 3 years at UWRF as well as their first year of veterinary school, may then obtain their Bachelor's degree in animal science or dairy science from UWRF.
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Communicate and work effectively with people,
- Understand scientific disciplines related to animals including nutrition, genetics, anatomy, physiology, behavior, welfare and metabolism
- Manage various animals including livestock, horses, dogs, and other species.
As a graduate of this program, you will be prepared for veterinary school to complete your doctor of veterinary medicine. After veterinary school as an accredited veterinarian, you will have many professional career opportunities. Below is a list of area veterinary schools and colleges that our graduates often attend.
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities College of Veterinary Medicine
- University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine
- Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine
Not what you
were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to
Animal Science - Veterinary Technology
Animal Science – Companion Animal