Applying for Admission

Application Procedure for Degree Seeking (F-1) Students

All international students applying for admission to the University of Wisconsin-River Falls are required to complete the following:  

  1. Submit the UW System application for admission.  

  2. High school transcripts that show a graduation date. If the applicant is transferring from another university, official university transcripts will need to be evaluated by either Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) at or World Education Services (WES) at

  3. The student must apply to a program offering a full course of study at the undergraduate or graduate level.  

  4. Applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:

    TOEFL iBT minimum score for undergraduate study is 78 and for graduate study is 80
    IELTS minimum score for undergraduate study is 6.0 and for graduate study is 6.5.
    Other options to demonstrate English proficiency

    The TOEFL and IELTS tests must have been taken within the past two years, with scores submitted directly to UW-River Falls from the testing service. 

    The English Language Transition (ELT) Program at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls provides intensive academic English language courses. The ELT Program can provide language instruction to students at all levels. Students who may be admitted to the ELT Program are degree-seeking students and other students who want to improve their language skills. If a degree seeking student has not met the university's language proficiency requirement, students will take courses in the ELT Program and the TOEFL may be waived. Upon arrival, students will take a test to determine their placement in the ELT Program. Depending on the placement test scores, students may be eligible to dual enroll in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses and other university courses. There is no minimum language proficiency score to be considered for the ELT Program.

  5. A copy of the biographical data pages of a student's passport (the pages with their picture, name and date of birth) or copy of a government-issued ID should be submitted with the application.  The I-20 will be issued using the name on their passport/government ID.  The name will also be the one used to create their official University record.  

  6. Proof of sufficient funds  to cover all expenses to study and live in the U.S. for at least the entire program of study, including tuition, fees, books, living expenses, and costs for dependents, if applicable. To provide evidence of sufficient funds, students are required to provide the following:

    A completed Certification of Finances Form
    The financial documentation to prove the funding outlined in the Certification of Finances Form.

Questions? Contact International Student Admissions.