On-campus employment, refers to positions were UWRF or Chartwells (provider of dining services on-campus) are the employers. Any 'work from home' position or Internet base position do not qualify as an on-campus job.
All international students, under valid F-1 and J-1 visa statuses, are eligible to work on-campus under the supervision of UWRF faculty or staff. While working on-campus, you are limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session or 40 hours per work during school breaks.
There are a few steps that should be followed in order to secure an on-campus job:
- Make sure you have a U.S. or American style Resume ready to submit. If you need help writing a U.S. Resume, make sure you attend the various Career Services Events to learn more, visit Career Services Resume Writing page for tips.
- Use Handshake to find on-campus job opportunities. You can also inquire at different department's main offices to learn about available opportunities that might not be listed in Handshake.
- If you will be applying to on-campus jobs for the first time and you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), keep in mind that you will need to apply for an SSN before you start working. You will need an SSN in order to complete any hiring process. Refer to the Social Security Number section below, for more information.
- Complete the necessary paperwork for the hiring process.
- J-1 students must have authorization from the program sponsor that issued their form DS-2019 to work on campus. This employment authorization is for a specific job at a specific location and must be renewed every year, or for every new campus job. On campus employment, for J-1 visa holders, must be reported into SEVIS, please visit with your RO/ARO at ISSS for further details.
- F-1 and J-1 visa holders, are not eligible to apply for work-study positions.
Detailed information about finding a career or internships. Tips for improving your interview skills and developing a resume and portfolio.
Find on-campus and off-campus jobs and internships. The Handshake program acts as a liaison between employers who are posting job opportunities and candidates who are looking for employment.