International Student Services

Exchange Students - Maintaining J-1 Status

What does it mean to be "in status"?
The Department of State (DOS) considers you to be in valid J-1 status if you fulfill all of the conditions of your J-1 visa. The conditions are as follows:

  • attend the school listed on the DS-2019 you used to enter the U.S.
  • maintain the validity of your passport and DS-2019 form
  • maintain good academic standing
  • maintain sufficient financial resources to avoid becoming a "public charge"
  • enroll each semester as a full-time student
  • obtain health insurance which meets DOS standards
  • work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus while classes are in session with specific written authorization from your J-1 sponsor
  • work off-campus only with specific written authorization from your J-1 sponsor
  • complete the J-1 transfer procedure to change schools within the U.S.
  • extend your stay in your degree program (D/S) before the completion date on your DS-2019
  • complete the change of level procedure when changing from one educational level to another in a timely manner

When would I be considered "out of status"?
DOS considers you to be "out of status" if you do not fulfill any of the conditions of your J-1 visa.

What are the consequences of being "out of status"?
If you are out of status, you lose the following privileges and benefits:

  • eligibility for employment, on-campus and off-campus work
  • automatic visa revalidation for trips to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean islands except Cuba
  • extension of program through the notification procedure
  • transfer to or from another university in the U.S. through the notification procedure
  • change from one educational level to another through the notification procedure
  • Academic Training

How do I get back in status?
Students who have fallen "out of status" must consult with an ISS advisor about their situation. Please schedule an appointment if you wish to discuss your case.

When does my J-1 status end?
Your J-1 status ends either on the date listed in on your DS-2019, or when you complete the last requirement for your program of study, which ever comes first. If you are considering withdrawing from your program or if you may be dropped from your program, please consult an ISS advisor as these actions have serious ramifications on your visa status. 

How long can I stay in the U.S.?
You may stay in the U.S. for 30 days after completion of your program. You may not work during those 30 days.

Contact Us

International Student Services
174 Rodli Hall

Facebook IconInstagram IconYouTube Icon