Student Handbook

Grade Appeals

The presumption is that grades are correct as assigned, unless there is clear and convincing evidence supporting an allegation of inequity in grading practices. The student bringing the complaint bears the burden of proof when initiating an informal or formal appeal process. Appeal of a grade must be made within one semester (not counting summer or J-term) of receiving the grade. If a student wishes to make a complaint concerning a grade, the student should first discuss the matter with the instructor of the course involved. If the matter is not satisfactorily settled, the student should then discuss the matter with the chair of the department in which the course was offered. If the matter is not satisfactorily resolved by the chair, the student should then make a written complaint to the Dean of the College in which the course was offered, including a clear statement of the problem and arguments or evidence to support the student's complaint. The Dean will discuss the matter with the student, faculty member and chair, and will attempt to resolve the matter and render a decision. A final complaint in written form may be made to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.  An appeal committee of five, as a subset of the Academic Standards Committee, approved by the Academic Standards Committee, will hear the complaint and make a recommendation to the Provost's Office. The student may be accompanied by another person(s) of their choice at any stage of the complaint process.

Problems arising from clerical error or other problems not related to equity in grades are to be handled through the College Dean's office. Information and other particulars concerning the grading system can be found in the current University Catalog. The faculty member may not change a student's grade after it has been recorded in the Registrar's Office except in the event of an error, which must be reported on a form supplied by the Registrar's Office. The form must contain a written explanation of the error and must be signed by a Dean.

Grades disputes related to potential academic misconduct will be address using policies in UWS 14.  Additional information about UWS 14, Academic Misconduct, is available here.  Students with questions about academic misconduct should consult the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

Source:  Faculty and Staff Handbook, Chapter Nine, and