Design an internship that fits your organization’s needs. Outline what you are hoping to achieve from having an intern. Ensure that there is a commitment by your organization’s management to hire, train, supervise and mentor interns.
- Draft a job description that clearly explains the duties and scope of learning for the intern.
- Determine the timeframe and number of hours necessary. Summers generally work best for most interns.
- Determine what you will pay the intern.
- Identify workspace for the intern, as well as any additional resources an intern needs to do their job.
- Determine the academic background and experience you desire.
- Determine who will have supervisory, training, and mentoring responsibility for the intern.
- Determine how the intern’s performance will be evaluated and how feedback will be provided.
- Outline the recruitment and application process.