Guidelines for Position Description
CBE faculty must approve the internship for college credit. While the position description can be brief, some specifics are essential:
1. Duties and Scope of Learning
Since an internship is a learning experience, the job content should reflect this goal. The job description should address the level of analysis and decision-making an intern will have and include at least one of the following:
- Job rotation
- Responsibility for special projects
- Assisting a manager in his or her duties
- Anything else that constitutes a significant learning experience
2. Academic Background/Experience/Skills Desired
- Indicate the preferred academic major, experience and skills sought.
- If there is a GPA requirement, please list it.
- Please include the name, title, e-mail address and phone number of the staff member who will be supervising the intern.
4. Salary and Benefits
- CBE internships are a paid work experience. Compensation should be fair and competitive, with consideration for training and experience. Housing arrangements are the responsibility of the student.
- Compensation could include reimbursement of academic credit costs for the intern.
5. Time Frame and Hours
- Include the starting and ending date of the internship, the number of hours an intern will work per week and the total hours for the internship.
6. Application Process
- Provide a detailed description outlining the process for applying for the internship, including the application deadline.
7. Employer Contact Information
- Please provide the name of the organization, the name and title of the hiring official, address, phone number, e-mail address and website.