majoring or minoring in Spanish can expect to be immersed in the
language and culture of Spanish-speaking countries, learning the
history, culture, and beliefs of Spanish and Latin-American societies.
Highlights of the Spanish Major
- Beginning, intermediate and professional courses in Spanish, and a wide variety of language, literature and civilization course options.
- Travel opportunities all over the world, including J-term in Mexico.
- Two active student organizations - Spanish Club and Spanish Professions Association.
- Students who test into a language as incoming freshman can earn up to 14 free credits.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Develop skills in listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing in a target language.
- Nurture your awareness and appreciation of the contributions of other cultures to contemporary society through the study of their history and literature.
- Understand cultural sensitivity and respect through engagement with those cultures.
- Improve critical thinking skills and reflect on the differences and similarities between target cultures and your own.
As a graduate of this program, you will be prepared for a wide variety of careers in the modern language field. Pairing your language major with a major or minor in another field opens
up many opportunities for working in those fields, both abroad and
domestically. Below is a list of potential job titles and employers where graduates have found employment or internship opportunities.