Student Handbook

Test-Out Program

Undergraduate students with especially strong backgrounds have the opportunity to test out of up to 12 semester hours of credit through departmental testing, except in the Modern Language department, which allows up to 14 semester hours of credit.

Students may not test out of courses for credit if they have taken the course, if they are currently enrolled in the course, or if they have taken higher-level courses than those they are attempting to test out of. Students are not allowed to attempt to test out of a course more than once.

Transfer students may have to take additional coursework at UWRF in the event that the institution from which they transferred did not grant test-out credits.

Students must be enrolled full time in order to test out and receive credit without paying additional fees. Students enrolled less than full time may attempt to test out. However, if successful, they must pay fees for the credits received.

A student may not receive test-out credit for more than two courses in any one department except in the departments of Modern Language and Health and Human Performance.

The Department of Health and Human Performance allows up to 3 hours of test-out credit.

The Modern Language department allows up to 14 semester hours of test-out credit. However, the student must take the next higher course in that language and pass with a grade of B or better. The Modern Language test-out is for incoming freshmen who learned French, German or Spanish as a second language. Native speakers and transfer students will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. High School special students may also receive test-out credit in French, German or Spanish by passing the test-out exam, by paying additional fees, and by meeting all departmental criteria. High school special students taking the Modern Language test-out and planning to enroll at UWRF may defer the application of their test-out credit until their enrollment as a matriculated student and their meeting of all department criteria.

A veteran may request a waiver of the University’s Global Perspectives requirement by demonstating first-hand experience or knowledge to the Veterans’ Services Coordinator, with verification of the DD214 and/or additional documents as requested. The waiver requires the approval of the Dean’s Office of the student;s academic college. The Dean’s Office will submit approved waivers to eht eRegistrar’s Office for entry into the student’a academic record. 

Source:  Faculty and Staff Handbook, Chapter Nine, Sections 9.2.23 and