Have a big idea? Undergraduate and graduate students can explore the possibility of turning their business ideas into reality. Utilizing the Lean Startup Methodology, students can develop their ideas into a viable business and compete to win up to $30,000!
Student teams select a faculty mentor and register for the competition here. All teams will be required to utilize the Business Model Canvas. Teams will prepare a 10-minute presentation covering their business idea and their utilization of the Business Model Canvas. For examples of these presentations, view the past winners here. Watch the video below to learn more about the Business Model Canvas and associated Lean Startup Model.
For more information, see the Student Orientation Packet
Prizes and Awards
1st Place= $2,000
3rd Place= $500
WI Big Idea Tournament, 1st Place = $25,000 Ideadvance Grant
IBMC, All Competitors= $2,000 and may win up to an additional $30,000
Business stipends must be used for activities or supplies directly related to starting or growing the business idea entered in the Innovation Challenge.
- Entry into and travel to the Wisconsin Big Idea Tournament in Madison, WI, for the 1st place winner
- Assistance applying to the International Business Model Competition at-large option
- Access to Learn Startup workshops
- Feedback from entrepreneurs and regional business leaders serving as competition judges
- Free access to UW-Extension's D2L course about Learn Startup and the Business Model Canvas process
- Opportunity to present your business idea to the UWRF Foundation Board for funding consideration