Property will be considered abandoned by residence hall students if it is left in a resident’s room after a student’s housing contract has been terminated. Abandoned property procedures will include the following:
Abandoned property will be boxed up by a minimum of two Residence Life staff members and all items will be noted on the boxes. The Assistant Director of Residence Life – Facilities & Administrative Services will offer the direction as to which staff members are responsible for boxing up the materials. Boxed items and any furniture will be taken to a designated storage location. During this time, UWRF, its officers, employees and agents will not be responsible for damage or theft to this property.
The Assistant Director of Residence Life – Facilities and Administrative Services will correspond with the student within 48 business hours of the materials being boxed and stored. Communication will occur:
- Via e-mail to the student’s UWRF e-mail account
- Via snail mail to the student’s home address listed in eSIS
- Via phone call to the student’s home phone number listed in eSIS
The student will be expected to make arrangements with the Assistant Director of Residence Life – Facilities and Administrative Services to pick up their items within 15 days of the correspondence being sent to the student. The following procedures will occur when a student does not retrieve the items within 15 days or a mutually agreed upon time frame.
- Items with expiration dates, no monetary value or considered “junk” will be tossed or recycled.
- Food items will be donated to the local food pantry.
- Items that are in good condition will be donated to local appropriate agencies.
- Items that are high in monetary value will be sold as “surplus” items in the next Residence Life surplus sale.
- Cash will be deposited into the Residence Life Foundation Account.
The discretion of whether or not an item should be donated or sold as a surplus item is at the discretion of the Assistant Director of Residence Life – Administrative Services and Facilities.
Questions about this policy should be directed to the Assistant Director of Residence Life – Administrative Services and Facilities.