Movie Rights (Non-Classroom)

Non-Classroom Motion Picture Viewing Terms and Conditions

Your event's tentative reservation will be cancelled if the movie viewing rights form is not received a minimum of 72 hours before your event.

There are three companies that can issue a Public Performance License, and documentation of the license must be given to the Reservations Office prior to the showing. The companies are Swank Motion Pictures, Criterion Pictures Inc, and New Yorker Films. Between these three companies, they control 94% of the licensing of motion pictures for colleges and universities. Movies that fall in the Public Domain are an exception. To review movies that fall in the public domain, visit www.pdmdb.orglink The Reservations Office is happy to work with any organization or department if there are questions or clarifications needed.

To order a movie, call Swank Motion Pictures at (800)876-5577, Criterion Pictures Inc. at (800)890-9494, or New Yorker Films at (212)645-4600 or info@newyorkerfilms.commail.

You will need to know:

  • Film Title Requested

  • Show Dates

  • Format You Need (35mm, VHS, DVD, 16mm)

  • Specific Location of Showing

  • Shipping Address

  • Billing Information and Method of Payment

Anyone wishing to exhibit a motion picture must produce factual information as to where the license was obtained. Willful infringement is a federal crime carrying a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail and/or a $100,000.00 fine. Even inadvertent infringements are subject to substantial civil damages, ranging from $500.00 to $20,000.00 for each illegal showing. University Center has also been informed that not only is the sponsoring group responsible, but the venue itself. Colleges and universities are the most frequent violators and are closely monitored.

If the movie does not fall under the public domain and is not an international movie, you will need to know the name of the company granting you the movie viewing rights and the license number.

Contact Us

Campus Reservations
Division of Student Affairs
170 University Center
M-F, 7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m.