Disclosing a Disability

College students have a strong right to privacy and are legally considered independent adults. It may be considered against the law for UWRF to ask individual students if they have a disability. There is a self-disclosure process students are expected to voluntarily initiate for requesting this kind of personal attention. It should be either the student or a legally authorized representative who makes the request (family members and friends rarely have that legal status). 

A convenient way to submit the request at UWRF is by using the Self-Disclosure Form that is available from the Ability Services Office and this website.

As part of the self-disclosure process students should also make an appointment to meet with a staff member of the Ability Services Office, and submit a written report of the disability. The report is often called documentation.

University of Wisconsin-River Falls
410 S. 3rd Street, River Falls WI 54022 USA
Campus Information 715-425-3911