Military and Veteran Resource Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Once you have completed your application and it was processed and approve, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Please submit the COE to the Military Veteran Resource Center for certification of your enrollment to the VA. Example of COE:

  • Because most schools start at about the same time, we are generally overwhelmed with enrollments at the start of a semester. It takes us about 10 to 12 weeks to process an enrollment during those times. Please be patient. We will process all of the enrollments in order by the date received. If you try to log into the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment system (WAVE) system and either cannot log in or see that your record has not been updated from last semester, we have not processed your current enrollment.
  • If you are receiving benefits based on your status as a service person, veteran, or reservist, you must verify your enrollment at the end of each month in order to receive benefits. Benefits are paid after each month of school is completed. Verification can be done beginning the last day of the month by using our Web Automated Verification of Enrollment system (WAVE) or by calling toll free 1-877-823-2378 and using your touch tone phone. Both of these services are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. If you are receiving Post-9/11 (CH33) or Dependents Educational Assistance (CH35), benefits are sent automatically at the end of each month with no action required on your part.

The answer depends on a few variables

  • Udergraduate: full time is 12 credits during the fall and spring semester* and 9 credits during the summer semester.
  • Graduate: full time is 9 credits during the fall and spring semester* and 5 credits during the summer semester.

*This is for the 14-week semester.  This does not include the 3-week interim term.  However, since there are nonstandard terms for some courses (ex. 1st 7weeks, 2nd 7 weeks, 10 weeks, ect), it is best to contact the Military Veteran Resource Center and review your schedule with a team member to determine what your rate of pursuit will be.

National Guard Grant Tuition Reimbursement forms may be submitted to the Veteran Resource Center at any time during the semester. They are held until grades are posted at the end of the semester before processing and sending to DMA. Forms MUST be submitted NO LATER than 90 days after the end of the term.

You can request your transcripts online at:

In order to certify your classes for federal benefits, you need to make sure the classes you are taking at the second school will count as credit toward your degree at the UW River Falls. Contact the Military Veterans Resource Center for instructions on how to get courses at another school certified.

If you’re receiving the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty, MGIB – Selected Reserve GI Bill (Chapter 1606), you can veify your attendance online through the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE), or call the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378).

  • If you fail a class you will receive a “punitive grade,” and this will negatively affect your GPA. However, because the grade you received counts toward your graduation progress (and you did not meet the passing grade), you will not be required to repay any money back to the VA.
  • In addition, because you did not meet the passing grade requirement you may take the class again and have the VA pay for it. However, too low of a GPA can impact your financial aid or ability to use VA Education Benefits.
  • If you withdraw from a course, you need to notify the Military Veteran Resource Center right away. A withdraw from a course can affect your VA benefits and/or create a VA debt. Please contact Peter Johnston, Veteran Benefit Coordinator, if you have any questions about this

YES.  Any changes to your enrollment must be reproted to the Veteran Resource Center.  This is so we can update your certifications to the VA.  This helps in preventing VA debts.

Contact Peter Johnson, Veteran Benefit Coordinator, in the Military Veteran Resource Center as soon as possible.

No.  Any veterans' benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reproted as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Contact Us


Veteran Services
283 Rodli Hall
Phone: 715-425-3529
Fax: 715-425-0708 

Monday-Friday 7:45-4:30