Student Organizations

2. Student Organization Policies

The University of Wisconsin-River Falls (UWRF) is committed to academic freedom and freedom of expression. Students have the right to freedom of speech, peaceable assembly, petition, and association. This includes the right of students through student organizations to examine questions of interest to them, to express opinions publicly and privately, and to support their opinions and causes in a lawful manner that does not disrupt university operations or violate university policy.

As with any right, the right of freedom of expression comes with responsibility. For instance, students have the right to express their views, but not necessarily the right to say anything, any time, or in any place. The University may place reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions on that expression. Freedom of expression does not protect students from the consequences of behavior or conduct that violates UWRF policies (including those that prohibit harassment or disruption of classes or other university activities).

At UWRF, “inclusiveness” is a Falcon value, and that means that we value diversity in people and ideas. Statements that demean and exclude members of our Falcon community are contrary to that value. While the University refrains from restricting the exchange of ideas and viewpoints (even those that are offensive or disagreeable), it does not mean the University condones, supports, or agrees with all ideas expressed. While students have the right to express their views, others have the right to challenge those views by expressing a different perspective. Freedom of expression does not mean freedom from criticism.

Student Involvement staff and student organization advisors are committed to upholding freedom of expression. Student organizations with questions should contact their adviser or

In addition, the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Policy Document 4-21, “Commitment to Academic Freedom and Freedom of Expression” applies to all UW System students, employees, and visitors. This policy contains provisions addressing “violent or other disorderly misconduct that materially and substantially disrupt[s] the free expression of others.”

If your organization is inviting guests to campus who are under the age of 18, you will have to be trained as a mandated reporter per Executive Order #54.  Executive Order #54 requires UW system employees and students who work with youth, to immediately report child abuse or neglect. Thoroughly follow the process below to ensure that you are an informed Mandated Reporter.  If you have questions on whether you need to be a Mandated Reporter contact Risk Management.

  • Step 1: Click here and complete the Mandated Reporter (Executive Order #54) online training.  Read the information and then click the blue "Begin" button on the bottom right of the page.  Please note that training will take approximately 45 minutes.
  • Step 2: When you have finished the training upload the Mandated Reporter Proof of Completion form to MyOrgs.

It is very important that you complete this training and quiz.  It is mandated within the state of Wisconsin to protect the minors we interact with.  Additionally please note that if you have completed this training once as a student organization participant, you do not need to complete it again.

The Office of Student Involvement is committed to preventing all forms of sexual misconduct, including sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and sexual harassment. Any complaint of sexual harassment or sexual violence can be directed to this link. For general Title IX information please visit this page.

The following policy addresses some commonly asked questions regarding political activity on campus.  Please contact the Office of Student Involvement regarding any questions you may have which are not addressed in this policy. For a full list of state policies surrounding political activity on campus, please view the following document here

Can a student organization plan a political event to be hosted on campus?

Political events can be sponsored by student organizations under certain circumstances, but any student organization planning such an event is encouraged to contact the Office of Student Involvement to ensure their event falls within UW System policy.  Non-partisan events are acceptable under UW system policy and are encouraged.  Events such as campus tours for candidates, open forums with candidates, and debates would all be considered non-partisan political events.

Can a student organization fundraise for a political candidate on campus?

No. State law Wis. Stat. § 11.1207 prohibits the use of state owned buildings for political fundraising.  This means that on-campus fundraising cannot be political in nature.

Can student organizations use their Student Government Association Finance Committee funding to contribute to or advertise for a political campaign or candidate?

No. UW system policy states student organizations may not use the Finance Committee funding to make contributions, gifts or donations of any kind to a political campaign or candidate.  While donations of any kind to a political campaign are prohibited student organizations can use their Finance Committee funding to produce political promotional materials being displayed on-campus.  Any questions about the appropriate use of segregated fees should be referred to the Office of Student Involvement Budget Coordinator.

Can student organizations urge students to vote?  What about voting for a particular political party or candidate?

Yes. Student organizations can encourage students to vote and inform students about upcoming elections.  Additionally, student organizations can also encourage students to vote for a particular party or candidate.  Please note, UW system policy prohibits the use of state-owned buildings or Finance Committee budget funds for political fundraising, so while you may encourage students to vote in a particular manner you cannot fundraise for any candidate.  If you have any questions if you event is in violation of this policy please discuss your idea with the Office of Student Involvement.

Can campaigning be done in the Residence Halls?

Individuals who wish to campaign in the residence halls regardless if representing Hall Council, RHA, Student Senate, Town of River Falls, or State of Wisconsin must adhere to the following procedure.  Any individual running in an election will have the opportunity to utilize hall main lobbies to present their viewpoints by discussion or materials following approval by the Department of Residence Life.  The manner of presentation must not interfere with the flow of traffic, not constitute harassment to residents, and must be done in a reasonable fashion so that the information/discussion is conducted on a voluntary basis with student residents.

The Office of Student Involvement supports and enforces the UW-System policy in regards to alcohol use at student organization events.  Student Involvement requires that any event that will provide alcohol be approved by the Associate Director of Student Involvement.  Please contact the Office of Student Involvement to visit about events serving alcohol at least 30 days prior to the event.  Please review the UW-System and UW-River Falls policies below regarding alcohol and student organizations.

Overview/Background: UWS 18.09

UW-River Falls Administrative Policy: Alcoholic Beverages on Campus

UW-River Falls Administrative Policy: Alcohol and Tobacco Sponsorships

Off-Campus Alcohol Procedures

Student Organizations may plan an event where alcohol is served to individuals of the appropriate age and in accordance with state and federal laws.  While such events pose inherent risks, the Office of Student Involvement understands that events can take place where alumni, parents, and family, etc. can participate and alcohol can be present.

The Office of Student Involvement requires any organization planning to host an event where alcohol is served either by members of the organization or by a third-party vendor (i.e.- banquet hall, UW-River Falls, local restaurant or bar) submit necessary paperwork at least 10 days prior to an event taking place. Once submitted, forms will be reviewed, and either approved or denied by the Office of Student Involvement.  Any event that takes place without an approved application is subject to disciplinary action by the Office of Student Involvement and Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.  Please note that a copy of the vendor's liquor license and proof of insurance, as well as a guest list will be required with all alcohol applications. Links to necessary forms are provided below:

Hosting an Event at an Organization Member's Residence/Facility: Click Here

Hosting an Event with a Third Party Vendor

Please note any student organization planning an event where alcohol is served off-campus is expected to understand and uphold the off-campus alcohol and drug policies.

Purpose of Mascot

The purpose of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls (UWRF) mascot, Freddy Falcon is to promote UWRF spirit at all times.  The mascot should strive to motivate, inspire, and entertain Falcon fans and students.  Please note that violating the purpose of the mascot or performing in Freddy in any way which may hinder the image of UWRF is prohibited. To request Freddy, email 

Mascot Rules

The following guidelines will be enforced and must be followed while "mascoting" within Freddy the Falcon:

  • While portraying Freddy, mascots cannot speak.
  • The full Freddy uniform must be in place at all times in public.
  • Performances must be kept appropriate and family-friendly at all times, please note that other people, including children, are looking at you as an extension of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls brand.
  • You must provide a designated person to wear the Freddy costume and another to guide this person.

Mascots other than Freddy the Falcon

Using mascots other than Freddy the Falcon to represent your student organization is strictly prohibited.  This includes using another mascot on printed materials, t-shirts, or student organization gear.  If you have questions regarding the use of the Falcon head or the Freddy the Falcon mascot please contact us in the Office of Student Involvement.


Please note if your student organization plans to use the Falcon, Freddy, the UWRF logo, or even the words UWRF or the University of Wisconsin-River Falls on t-shirts or other advertisements they must submit for approval through University Communications and Marketing and provide the art that is to be printed in a viewing .PDF or .JPEG so staff can view it before approval.  

Please remember that anything with the UWRF logo or language on it must be appropriate because it is representing the University. University Communications and Marketing has an office located in the University Center can help with this process. Please email for additional assistance. 

Graphics Consultations
Graphics consultations are held in the Involvement Center. To sign up complete the Marketing and Graphics Request Form.

River City Stitch is a local printing company and can assist your organization in creating a variety of materials including apparel, caps and hats, and promotional items. When creating apparel for your org please keep in mind that you must use a Licensed Vendor if you use any wordmarks/logos or words related to UW-River Falls. To see what other items River City Stitch offers visit!

Printed Promotional Items

If you would like posters, handouts or any other printed items to promote meetings or events you can use our on-campus printer Fast Copy. Use the online form to order printed items. If you go through UCM they will provide you with files ready for the printer.

Contact Us

Student Involvement
M-F, 7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
170 University Center

UWRF Student Life Student Life Twitter Iconfalconsync